Moving mouths relatively

I am learning and have a question

If I have a set of mouth shapes for a character - 3Qs view in normal position

But when the character bends down, looks down, leans forward, tilts his head to the side, leans back, shakes his head the mouth would have to be in a different position.

Remember the character is still in 3Qs view.

So, the mouths would have to move in relation to the head or other facial features. I guess it would have to be fixed relative to all these other parts.

Is this possible in TBAP? How do I do this?

I’m learning also, from the tutorials I’ve watched you would attach the “layers you want moving relatively” to a peg (which you can create in the network view-this is a lot easier than the timeline view).

I imagine you would attach the mouth and head to the same peg. Then when you transform that peg, you transform both at the same time. (btw, when using pegs, right click on the drawing layer that is attached to the peg, select layer properties in the dropdown menu, and in the drawing tab select “use embedded pivot on parent peg” otherwise you will run into frustration with misbehaving pivots). If you give both the mouth and head separate pegs as well, underneath the “master head peg” you can still transform them separately as well, and at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks mate. Will try this.

You can apply the same principle to the torso, arms and legs as well. This is also really useful when you apply a Tone and Highlight modules.
The more pegs the better :stuck_out_tongue:

I used this rigging method, so, things might be a little different for me. I might be having issues because of that as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSg21SjmLs

Also,

“btw, when using pegs, right click on the drawing layer that is attached to the peg, select layer properties in the dropdown menu, and in the drawing tab select “use embedded pivot on parent peg” otherwise you will run into frustration with misbehaving pivots)”

I did not do this step since I am following the method that I mentioned earlier. Would that be an issues? I am facing issues while animating. I am not able to select the peg from the camera view. I have to select the peg from the network view each time. Also, the pegs seem to be moving around. But the instructor in the video says that won’t happen if you follow that method.

When you’re using Peg layers only to animate, then you can actually disable Animate Using Animation Tools, in the Advanced tab of the Layer Properties.

Then set your pivot points on the Peg layers directly using the Rotate tool.

To answer the original question, any drawing that you want to move around should be on its own drawing layer. Then, you can connect peg layers together in a series to be able to select them at the same time.

In other words, you can have your mouth, nose, eyes, and head on separate layers. Then create pegs for each. Then you can create new pegs that you can use to gather together layers that you want to animate together. So maybe one for the facial features. You can connect this to eyes, nose, and mouth. Then one for the head with the facial features.

For more help, check out the Head Rigging video:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE1F91952394661D

-Lilly