Morphing Troubles for Something Simple...

I’m experiencing 2 problems with a very simple morph in the evaluation version of Toom Boom Animate. You can see both these problems clearly in the 4 attached screenshots. Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me insane.

The first problem occurs when I create a simple morph of a rectangle to a circle by exactly following the guide at [1]. I do not see a preview in the Camera/Open GL view for the morphed frames as I scrub the timeline. The only way to see the morph is to play the sequence through the Playback toolbar. I have auto render enabled and a good graphics card. The weird thing is I can see the morph by scrubbing the timeline if I restart Toom Boom and reopen the file, but as soon as I make a change I can no longer see the morphed frames again, which sounds to me like auto render does not work.

The second problem is my actual morph is very funky, especially for something so simple. When morphing from a rectangle to a circle, two opposite corners of the rectangle switch sides and make the outline of the circle come into view looking like a rubber band. Adding morphing hints on all 4 corners and then to the correct corresponding points on the circle don’t do a dang thing either.

Am I missing some obvious things, or is the software really this buggy?

[1] - http://docs.toonboom.com/help/animate/#HAR/Stage/008_Morphing/011_H1_Creating_a_Basic_Morphing_Sequence.html

Not seeing onion skinning or the morph preview could just be the onion skinning pausing. If you click in certain areas of the screen art of the first or last keyframes of the morph sequence the onion skinning pauses. This is normal.

The software works to produce that interpolated morph. It pauses when you do something that makes it think changes are being made so it does not calculate the changing as you are manipulating things and only calculates the results after the adjustments you are doing have been completed.

You should be able to see the onion skinning of the morph sequence in the Camera View when you click in the first or last keyframes a 2nd time. I can scrub with and without the onion skinning by clicking on the 1st or last keyframes.

The problem I can definitely duplicate is the mangled morphing. I experienced the same result you did. After working with filled shapes I experimented using only an outline. I extended the onion skin the full duration of the morph and realized that the morph was twisting midway. So I started over using a rectangle and oval instead of symmetrical square and circle. I then went to the last frame and rotated the oval to compensate for the twist and everything morphed correctly.

I started over and tried creating the two shapes using similar gestures beginning from the same corner and moving to the same direction wondering if that initiated a #1 point at the same location in the shape. It made no difference.

Now when I just drew a simple four leaf clover (without stem) and a four point star everything lined up. The morph was perfect. I did not need to adjust anything.

I have seen how adding Hints can fine tune undulating cloud morphs and I understand how that is helping. A square/rectangle and an ellipse made with the Shape Tool have the same number of points. Applying hints did not correct the twisting. I did not see much effect from hints. Hints seem to have more effect when using contour lines rather than central vector lines.

I wonder what is going on with the one rotating. The software seems to interpret the 2nd shape points as rotated when morphing at least. The fill seems to morph correctly while the outline morphs independently. A couple of hints may begin to correct a problem then when you place more to seal the deal it goes back to the original problem.

Morphing works flawlessly when drawing similar shapes by hand using either the Brush or Pencil Tools. It just has some trouble understanding what the two forms are when they are created with the Shape Tools.

I’ve had very similar issues with extremely simple shapes (circles to squares, the fills work fine, the line goes nuts, and no amount of hints will fix it).

It’s strange, because I have little problem with complex shapes, it’s the simple ones that are fouling, as in the OP.