mimicking real art

I have been trying to mimick the look of pastels, but can’t quite get it right.

I have been using a textured brush, but I cannot get it to look right because it does not layer, i.e. have some transparency that I can add stroke after stroke on and have it darken. I can get some thing like that with the normal brush tool, but then no texture. Is there a way to combine these to features? I know I could draw it in photoshop or draw it by hand and import it in TB; but that is very labor intensive and It kind of defeats the purpose of having an all in one tool. I can’t be the only one who has tried to get TB to look like traditional media.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is there a way I can change the transparency of the cell to get this result? or maybe a plugin by someone?

Hi,

You could try using a texture color for your pen. This being said there were no specific tools created to use textured pen inside of Toon Boom Studio (unlike Digital Pro) but you should still able to get some decent results with a texture color.

Regards,

Ugo

I can get some fair results however the textured pen has no varied opacity and does not allow you to really layer on the textures. It simply reveals the tiled textured image that you select. Can you give an example of how to use this tool well? or how to work around the limitation of the tool with other tools/ options in toon boom studio.

Hi,

For the edge of the texture there is unfortunately not much that can be done about is. Toon Boom Studio drawing tools are still full vector tools so there is no blurring of the edge possible directly on the tool. I guess you could cheat it by using a feather edges after you have after creating your strokes which should make some kind of gradual disappearance of the the line toward the edge.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards,

Ugo