masks

Hi All -

Building a mask to block out an area of a person walking in front of a tv where I have some animation happening. I built the masks in photoshop (png files) where I colored in the places of the tv where the person was not in front of it.
Next, I went to TB, created an image element and loaded the png mask frames in (in the film the mask comes into play near the end of the scene). After loading the frames, I did a quick run in drawing view and could see the mask area of the person blocked out. I went to the Timeline, did an Element/Add/Clipping Effect. I moved my mask element over the mask in the Clipping Effect - it indented properly. I then took the drawing frame I wanted masked and dragged it over the Clipping Effect - it appeared indented even with the word Clipping… I did an export to a swf file and the mask did not work… anyone got a clue what I am missing… I did this some weeks ago as a test and it worked fine… you would think I would have kept the test file, but didn’t …:slight_smile: thanks in advance, Dan

Hi Dan,

I’m not exactly sure what you are trying to do but you should not be able to use a bitmap element has a mask in Toon Boom Studio. Since it is vector based it still consider the alpha channel as mask element and could only be used has rectangular masks, which explains why it has been disabled.

Now I’m wondering, if you want to mask part of a character that walks in front of a TV couldn’t you simply put the TV in another drawing/image element and put it over your character (by using the Z index of simply using the order of the elements on the timeline). This way you will get the same effect as your mask without having to use any effects at all.

Hope this could be of some help to you.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo -

I figured out what I was doing wrong… I was using an image element when I should have been using a drawing element for my mask frames… sometimes I wonder…
regarding the z-index, what I am doing is actually masking out the animation on the tv as the person walks in front of it… the action of the person walking is a full 720x480 png frame (image sequenced) with the tv embedded in the frame (it’s my bottom layer upon which everything else is animated)… I had to layer the animation over the frame, so what I did was bring in each png frame of the person walking by the tv, darken out the tv area left showing as the person walked by, then saved that image as a jpg and as my mask … based on this information - and hopefully it makes sense - would there have been an easier way? thanks, dan

Hi Dan,

With the elements you have I guess the best way is the one you are using. Although, unless it really mess up your work flow for the next animation you make I would suggest you to split frames in multiple elements so you can save time by using the software features. Once you have seperate elements it is really easy to make a character walk around a room over some elements without having to bother with what he will come over or under.

As for the image in the mask, we will most likely block the access of images inside the mask element in some futur release to prevent this problem to happen again.

Hope you manage to find your way around this scene.

Best regards,

Ugo