Masked SWF import and SWF layer order problems

I´m testing animate pro.
And when I import a SWF animation file on ToonBoom, the layers comes all mixed up. The scene plays fine, but internally the file is a mess.
On Flash, every part of the body of my character is in a specific layer, On TB the drawings keep changing layers.
On TB I loose all the layer setup of my animation made in Flash.
Is there a way of importing a SWF file, and keep the layers as had In flash?

We currently have a huge animation bank made in flash and this can be a problem If I plan to reuse or adapt animation of that databank.

One other issue I had, When I import an animation made in flash with Masks (made in flash) I loose the mask info, is that correct?

Thanks in advance
Mauricio

I Think I figured out what is happening on the layer order from flash imported files.

TB is not respecting the empty layers on lower levels. It fills the empty cells with drawings from layers from above.

For example, on a 3 layer timeline, let’s say, layer 1 - eyes, layer 2 - Head. Layer 3 - mouth with 24 frames.
And If on frame 12, there’s a blank frame on the eye layer, till the end of the scene.
From frame 13 on, the head drawings that was supposed to be on layer 2, are on the layer 1, and the mouth drawings are on layer 2.

This might actually work. Not an empty drawing, but a Drawing with a Dot, or something very small…
I’ll test it later.

Thanks for the insight

The SWF file has a limited structure and understanding of the original artwork. It is the only interchange format that we have to go from Flash to TB, but since it is a Flash format, we have no control over what is and is not supported in that format.

We can, however, do some tests with you regarding the migration of content. If you write in to support@toonboom.com and attach a sample SWF, we can take a look and see if there’s anything that can be done to smooth the process.

Usually, however, if it’s something like a cutout character, you may want to import the artwork from flash, but you’ll want to re-rig it in TB in order to take advantage of the advanced rigging tools. So there will be some manual process involved in this.

~Lilly

It is most likely not TB itself where the issue is taking root, but the SWF format. That is probably a way that SWF is compressing the file.

To check, you can open up the exported SWF back in Flash and see if you get the same result.

Can you fill the empty spaces with empty drawings?

~Lilly