Major lag issues in Studio 6.

I am new to Toon Boom but have been reseraching it for a long, long time. I have downloaded the trial versions of Studio 6 and Animate to learn the software while saving up to purchase it. Tonight after over a year of waiting I was able to buy Toon Boom Studio 6.

I was very excited. I reformatted my computer and everything. I purchase TB only to find out that it has MAJOR lag. It’s so bad I don’t think I could work on a simple project, much less imagine how it would run while working with multiple layers, scenes, etc.

I don’t know what the problem is. Here are my specs.

Processor: AMD Sempron ™ Processor LE-1300 2.30 Ghz
RAM: 2.00 GB (1.75 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit OS
274 GB of free space out of 288 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce6150SE nForce430 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

I understand it recs a dual core processor but I believe my covers the min. At first I thought it could be because I was opting to create projects in the HDTV format. So I tried again in Web Animation Large and still when I do a very simple drawing, just 1 layer. Extend the exposure to let’s say 60 frames, then try and scrub the timeline, the program begins to lag hardcore.

I am extremely disheartened at the moment, as I thought I would finally be able to “go to work” on some stuff. If anyone has any information that could help, I would be most, most, most thankful.

-Ronnie.

ALSO. The trial versions of Studio 6 and Animate did not seem to have this problem at all. ???

It seems as though it runs fairly smooth until I use the “line” tool. Then after is when the lag starts. When I use the ellipse tool it’s not lagging but I think the quiality of the ellipse is messed up. The line of the circle will be “chipped” looking. Anyways the issue of this post is the lag not that.

So I’m not sure if it’s just something with the line tool, or not, but it makes me cautious to move forward with any tool on a serious project as they result in the same thing.

99.99% of the time, problems with new TBS installs are related to display conflicts. You might want to experiment with the following:

Go to your menu and select Preferences

Look at the settings under the Display tab on the Preferences dialog box that opens

You will need to experiment with different settings by checking or un-checking or adjusting sliders etc.

You may need to close and restart the application between changes to see their effect on your performance.

Most likely you will solve your specific issue when you find the best group of settings for your specific computer configuration.

Hope this helps you move forward -JK

Thanks. I see you post often to help people. Kudos. I have played around some before this post, will continue to see what happens. I have a new computer I can use as well now, so I should be able to get my purchased TBS on that correct?

Hi,

If you want to change TBS from one computer to another, you need to return the license from the old computer prior. Please see the KB:

http://www.toonboom.com/support/kb/categories/Product-Activation/Toon-Boom-Studio/Studio-6/

For assistance, contact support@toonboom.com

Well I have changed the the preferences around, still lags hard core once any of the drawing tools are used really. I’m going to assume it’s my processor. I just don’t understand why the demo didn’t lag, and the demo for Animate worked smooth as well.

If you are importing bitmap images try reducing the size prior to import to see if it makes a difference. You said you have a new computer; try tweaking the anti-aliasing settings on the graphic card, increase virtual memory if possible, make sure you have enough ram etc…