Machine for Harmony

Hi,
I’m about to upgrade from Animate Pro 2 to Harmony. I’m also upgrading my machine. I was wondering what Harmony cares about in terms of the machine.
Obviously 64 bit matters, but does it leverage the GPU, multi-cores etc.?
Also does it like Mac better than PC or is it all the same.
Thanks,
Jeff

My 2cents, from your other post you are a Maya user as is myself. I gave up on Apple hardware for desktops a few years ago for reasons to countless to name but the most is their abysmal support of high end graphic cards. Tim C. promises that a new MacPro is coming but I’ve the sneaking suspicion it will be a MacMini on roids.

I am currently evaluating Harmony on both Windows and OSX (My laptop is a MacBookPro) and it seems to work fine on both. Personally I’d stick with windows, especially for Maya and AfterEffects. I use NukeX and Mari also and Nuke7 has Cuda support built in and Mari only runs on Windows. Depends on your workflow of course but I see the general trend of Apple is to support the consumer not the professional. I love their machines… just not for work.

Yeah, that’s where I’m ending up also. I love the mac but have not been able to use it professionally for a long time. It’s probably fine for 2D, but once you get into 3D the hardware just isn’t there.

Just curious, are you comping your Harmony work in Harmony or are you bringing it into Nuke?

Well, I’ve yet to succeed in getting a 3D Harmony render to work yet but I’m sure it’s just a setup thing. I’m under the gun at the moment working up a proposal for a client. Others (such as yourself) have it working so I assume that it works so fixing it at the moment has not been a top priority.

On compositing in Nuke, I’ve thought about it. Actually one of my questions to the sales rep was can I export my camera out of Harmony. Not gotten an answer but now that I’ve looked at it, short of some custom script, I don’t believe that is possible. That being said, it would be fairly trivial to set up my 2D scene with some nice target trackers, render that out and import it into NukeX and reverse the 3D camera move from there. Once I have that, re-render out of Harmony my actual scene, perhaps even in Z-Layers for fixed objects and import the who shebang into Nuke. I can import my 3D model into nuke, add lights, particles from Furnace and do a real 3D composite with both 3D and 2D objects in Nuke. I love working in Nuke and since I have the tool I was thinking this workflow could have some very interesting possibilities. I will know more once I run some tests with it. Nuke7 supports the Cuda engine and I’m getting a Quadro K5000 when it comes out next week so with 1500 + cores it should scream. We shall see as they say.

I hear you on Apple. I really love my MBP. It is bootcamped to Win7 and Lion. I went to MacSales and yanked the Optical drive and took the old OS drive and made it a data drive and got an SSD for the OS. Bar none this has to be the sweetest laptop I’ve ever owned but with the Retnia MBP you can’t upgrade the memory, can’t have 2 drives… yada, yada, yada. It’s a shame.

you can’t get the camera out of Harmony. That would be really nice and since they’ve got the start of FBX integration, I would think it would be doable.

I’m using AE now for compositing but will probably jump to Nuke when 7 is released. Tracking is probably the way to go on this for now.

PC is the way to go, better performance for the price. I just recently purchased a HP Z820 with one of the new Nvidia Quadro K5000 GPUs. I am not holding my breath for a new professional line Mac Pro next year.

of course PCs are better value for money!

That said Mac does have it upsides but they cost more and you do isolate yourself from some software but it is becoming better.

I have both and i prefer my PC cause I can do anything I want to it easily, but the mac does have an elegance in how simple it is. I can see how it is appealing, especially to a non techy person.

In terms of usability I have a couple of problems with Mac. The main one is the mixing of files and folders. I cannot understand how people get used to that. Getting a “better Finder” doesn’t solve this, because you still have the mix when opening a file on any software you use. The fact that people actually make alternative to Finder to contravene this should have convinced Apple by now. I have my Standalone on a Mac and it works pretty well even though it’s a laptop with a few years, but I had to change all my folder organization so that I can navigate. Another thing, less important, is that you cannot change the orientation of the mouse arrow. If you’re left-handed you might want the arrow to point to the other side. I can’t call the Mac “simple” because of this things. In Win you just change it if you want.