Looping a sequence

I have a series of frames that I’d love to use in a loop: a frog is hopping. How do I save and reuse a looped series of frames?

See the response for how to save a template that I posted in your Library Basics thread.

The normal way to deal with this issue of a cycle template is to select just the frames that make up a single cycle and create a template from that selection. Then when you re-use that cycle template you can set the desired number of loops and adjust the cycle in the timeline for each specific time you reuse the cycle in a project. Most instances of reuse will be uniquely different and therefore the cycle will be adjusted as required.

To loop a cycle of drawings do the following:
(1) select the frames of the cycle in the timeline
(2) right click to open the context menu
(3) choose the command Create Cycle
(4) enter a number of loops in the dialog (the original loop counts as one)
** the command Create Advanced Cycle gives you additional control when required. -JK

Thanks I’ll try it now.

After modifying the newly created cycle and inserting more believable transition frames, LOOKS LIKE IT WILL WORK!! Thanks loads.

I am about to get a headache! I also want to loop a series of frames - just waves moving across the scene, nothing advanced. I created a tweening sequence and then I wanted to loop it. I tried to do it with the peg and I tried to create a cycle but nothing works. The sequence moves - but when I create cycles, it all stand still - and so does my head.
Does it have anything to do with constant frames vs non-constant? Shouldn’t I have used a peg? Can I tween without it? What? How?
I read the instruction and I do what it says but it doesn’t work. Sigh. ??? ::slight_smile:

The easiest way to create a cycle of a keyframed sequence is as follows.

1. if the sequence is on a single element, no top level peg is needed, but if the sequence is on multiple elements you want to attach all of those elements to a top level peg. And then collapse that peg so that all the attached elements are hidden from view in the time line.

2.Next go to the first frame of the sequence on that top level peg and with the transform tool selected (7) press keyboard short cut (I) to set a key frame. Then move to the last frame of the sequence on that top level peg and press (I) to also set a keyframe.

3. Next, go back to that first frame of the sequence on the top level peg, hold down the (shift) key and select the entire sequence from the first keyframe to that last keyed frame on the top level peg. Be sure the top level peg is still collapsed.

4. With the sequence of frames selected on the top level peg use the keyboard shortcut [CTRL] + [C] to copy the selection. [CMD]+[C] on a Mac.

5. Now move the red frame indicator to the first frame past the end of the sequence on that top peg element still collapsed and use the keyboard shortcut [CTRL] + to paste your copied selection. [CMD]+ on a Mac. This is the “Paste Special” command. A dialogue box will open and you want to be sure that all the boxes are checked except for these three [] Create additional key frames at beginning and end of selection [] Overwrite existing drawings [] Update Colours. Then click the OK button.

6. Your sequence will be copied including all the keyframes and you now have created a second loop of the sequence. To create additional loops for this sequence, move the red frame slider to the first frame past the end of the existing sequence and the use the keyboard short cut [SHIFT]+[CTRL]+ which is the “Paste Special Again” command. Repeat this step for each additional loop desired.

Each loop is identical to the previous loop using this method. -JK

That seems to make sense. I will try that when I have time, but thank you also for the shortcut for Paste Special.
Again I must say that your explanation seems to be better than what I find in the user manual:)

What about this thing about Change Loops then, where you set a number of loops? That was what I thought I should use, but that resulted in nothing except that there were added some grey fields to the peg element in the timeline.

Just curious about what that is about…

Create Cycle works well you cycles that are hand drawn and not dependent on keyframing. It does not work as expected with drawings that have been keyframed. The method which I described with copy and paste special works fine for keyframed animations. Of course the problem with that method is if your character is moving across the stage you will still have to modify some of the keyframes to adjust for location changes. But that’s not difficult. -JK

Thanks for clarifying and no, that is the easy part of it:) Well, this part I have to come back to later, but this helps me to move on.