lip synching

Hi,
I have just returned to Toon Boom after four years working on Flash. My reason was the camera options in TB seemed to good to pass up…
However, I am not having much luck figuring out the lip synch. Maybe my Flash background is getting the way.
I am importing mouth shapes from Photoshop. They import into seperate lines in the Timeline.
Based on my understanding of TB’s lip sych program I copy each mouth shape and place them all into one line. I delete the originals as I go and after everything is completed I have on timeline with ten mouth shapes that work very well. If I try to rename the “mouth A” "mouth B"etc
I seem to lose them.
I am working on a Power Mac G5 4.11. not the latest intel. Could this be the problem or am I missing something when I import the mouth shapes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I guess, renaming your imported images you have created empty images…
Open your Library / Animation / Scene / open the folder containing your images…
Probably the old ones (deleted) and the new renamed ones (empty) are all there…
Open the Cell-Tab and scroll to your drawings, you’ll see what I mean…

I would recommend naming the images appropriately before importing into TBS…
Open the Exposure-Sheet and create an Image-Element, right-click the first cell /
Import Images / From File / select all images / and import…

Or, In the Exposure-Sheet create a Drawing-Element, right-click the first cell /
Import and Vectorize / From File / select all images / and import / in the Vectorize Settings
enable With Texture / click OK…

Or, in the Exposure-Sheet drag any image from one Cell to another (between Elements)
If you drag an Image-Element-Cell to a Drawing-Element-Cell, TBS vectorizes that image
on the fly…

Cheers
Nolan

Hi,
Ok- I tried to follow your instructions carefully. I exported each mouth shape out of photoshop and made it into an individual file (png) and placed it into a folder. I named them mouth A, mouthG etc.
Using the Exposure sheet I imported all of them (ten mouth shapes in all) and they were placed nicely into individual cells. So far so good.
Then when I start to work with them by editing in Modify Lip Synching map or Edit Sound things start to get crazy and I lose mouths or the Letter X appears replacing the first cell. Should I rename the drawing Element - mouth shapes.
In Flash I can bundle all of the shapes into a graphic symbol name it mouth parts or shapes and I’m off and running.
Thanks for you help.
John

Hi John,

Create “8” mouth shapes (a-b-c-d-e-f-g-x)
(one can use 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 or else, but has to change the names in the
Lip-Sync-Mapping window appropriately.

If you need more than 8 mouth-shapes, please have a look at this article:
http://www.toonboom.com/products/toonBoomStudio/eLearning/tipsTricks/lipSynch/

Cheers
Nolan



OK, so I am not the only one having this problem. I spent HOURS this weekend struggling with this same problem. Pretty “kludgy” functionality, in my opinion. I kept following the directions in the manual, followed the suggestions in this community forum, and step by step mimicked the steps laid out in the video tutorial recommended by Nolan (thanks Nolan!), but no matter what, I still kept having the same result. Here’s what would happen:

Regardless of what I named my 7 mouth image library templates, when I dragged them into the frame or the exposure cells one at a time, they did not retain the names that they had in the library. Instead of having a name matching the name of the associated template in the library, like “mouth-a” for example, it would instead become “image 13” or something like that. I was concerned that this would cause problems for my lip sync mapping, so I renamed the exposure cells under the mouth element one at a time until the were all as recommended in everything I read (A,B,C,D,F,G,X). But I quickly discovered that renaming these mouth element exposure cells caused the artwork to drop from these cells, causing them to not show up in my animation. When I clicked on the cells, they showed up completely blank. When I ran the animation after applying lip sync and mapping the lip sync to the mouth element… many of the mouth positions were missing. It was really frustrating.

After HOURS of frustration wrestling with this issue, I finally stumbled upon a solution/work-around that I thought I would share with you all: I followed all of the steps laid out above, including renaming the cells with the appropriate labels (A,B,C,D, etc.) Of course, the artwork dropped from the cells like before… but this is where I did something different. I actually re-imported the mouth drawing from my library into another element on the timeline (in camera view)… selected and cut it, deleted the element layer that I had pasted it into, then selected the appropriate mouth element exposure cell in the exposure sheet, and pasted that drawing right onto it (the work area, not the exposure sheet)… and it totally worked! I even tried this when I had already applied a lip sync in the sound editor and… it appropriately put the correct artwork in the correct frames through the entire piece of audio!

I was frustrated that it had taken me so long to figure this out and that I had not accomplished more in less time… but I was very pleased that I figured this out and could finally get past this issue once and for all! I actually felt very fortunate to have stumbled upon this work-around as it does not seem to be documented anywhere from what I can see. Hopefully ToonBoom will correct this issue in future versions of the app as thsi functionality is clearly is not working as it was designed to in a consistent way.

I hope you all find this work-around as helpful as I have!

Good luck!