lip sync - easier way?

hi all -

been using TB for a year or so and have used lip sync a lot - I am hoping there is an easier way than the way I am doing it which is frame by frame copy paste. This gets to be a pain when the character moves, turns, whatever, as I then have to create a subcopy of the mouth movement, put it in place, then copy/paste frame by frame until the character moves again …
My question is there someway i can associate a set of mouth drawings to an element that will lock the mouth to the drawing as it moves linear? Or do i have to create subsets of each mouth position…
Any info would be helpful … thanks, Dan

I had the same question a while back and JK straightened me out. I can’t find the thread it was in, so I"ll do my best to explain his explanation. ;D

Let’s say you have three or four sets of mouths representing different rotations or expressions. Each of these should be in their own drawing element. When you run your lip synch, you then map repeatedly to each of them. Now you have several elements of mouth shapes, each with appropriate lip synch applied. You then create a blank drawing element and copy and paste to it.

Two ways to simplifiy this:

First, put all your rotations or expressions, or mouth shape sets inside one element, then clone it as many times as you have sets inside the element. For example, you may have forward, 3/4 Left, 3/4 right, profile left, and profile right, so you’ll need a total of five clones plus the original (yeah, that’s actually six total for five rotations). Now when you copy and paste from the five clones into the original, you won’t be adding new drawings every time, just programming the frames you have already available.

Another thing to make it faster/easier is to clone or duplicate the sound element itself, then edit each copy to represent a section where the face will be turned a certain direction or bear a certain experession for a stretch of frames. Have a clone of the mouth element for each sound element you have created. Run the lip synch operation on each sound element, then map to the appropriate drawing element. You can copy to the original drawing element as mentioned in the preceding paragraph, or you can blank out the frames you don’t want to show for an element when the expression turns or changes.

For some ideas that support this, check out the following Wiki article:
http://toonboomcartooning.wetpaint.com/page/lip+synching

Hi Rob -

thanks, I was wondering if that was the way to go, but never acted upon it … did go to the link you provided but the lip search found nothing … i did some searching and found a tutorial on syncing that I will need to view… I already keep all my character voices separate and think the best solution would be to have multiple elements for each voice face change … too bad we can’t associate a mouth to a head element so that when the head moves forward, the mouth element moves with it instead of having to create a new mouth frame and move it to where the head now happens to be …
thanks for the help - i do appreciate it … dan

Here is the link Rob was trying to give. Lip Syncing. -JK