LINE QUALITY ON PC

Ok so I just got Toon Boom Studio for PC and Toon Boom Express for Mac and tried the Mac first and the line is great. Real smooth, all in all very nice. Then I tried the PC and the line is all gnarly, chunky, jagged, etc. I clicked on quick preview to watch it and it looks like the line smoothed up a bit but still, I just can’t hack drawing and not seeing what I get is what I get. My sister is using the Mac version and at the moment I’m very envious of her line quality. What do I do!? Can I do anything!? Somebody please help.

Hi MJM,

The line quality on Mac is related to the anti-aliasing that is automatically done by the Mac platform. We have added the feature on the newest release of Toon Boom Studio (v3.5) but for older versions of the application the way to get that smoothing would be to trigger on anti-aliasing on your video card settings (if it has one that is).

Best regards,

Ugo

If I understood your question, your issue is on the PC display. In Toon Boom, you need to go to the menu Edit>Preferences. Then to the Display tab. Your system renderer should most likely be set to Direct3d instead of Open GL. Also there is a check box for Open GL Full Scene Anti Aliasing that should be checked. I had similar problems when I first installed v3.5 and these adjustments corrected my issues. All PC systems are not created the same and sometimes you have to make adjustments for different graphics processor cards. Hope this helps -JK

Hi JK,

The way you pointed is the correct one for V3.5 but Toon Boom Studio Express is still at version 3 so they do not have the OpenGL Full Scene Anti Aliasing.

The only way to get the anti aliasing on previous version of Toon Boom Studio is by using your video card drivers to generate the smoothing.

Best regards,

Ugo

Seems to indicate TBS on the PC and Express on the Mac only.

Seems to indicate the problem is on the PC and with TBS not express. It is true the post doesn’t indicate which Version of TBS but V3.5 is a reasonable assumption for a new installer. -JK

Hi JK

My bad I didn’t realize that. Thank you for pointing that out.

Ugo

First off thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Yeah my problem is with the PC display, and yeah it’s TBS v3.5. Sorry if I wasn’t real clear. My sister and I both purchased at the same time. (Jan 3rd…I think?) Anyway I bought TBS v3.5 PC. She bought TBS express v3.0 for Mac. Express v3.0’s line is smooth as a baby’s backside. Right now TBS v3.5 PC…not so much. You could cut yourself on this line. I tried both Open GL and Direct3D and the anti aliasing and it stays yet the same. Just a tad frustrating to say the least. Especially since one of the major attractions for me was Toon Booms smooth line quality. Does this mean I have to do something with my computer?

have you tried with a restart of the app after you changed the display settings (opengl to direct3d and the other way round)? i’m even not sure if it requires a machine reboot or not…
cheers,
rob

Hi,

The anti-aliasing function should be working when you have both the renderer to OpenGL and the OpenGL Full Scene Anti-aliasing triggered. Once you check those option you will need to restart the application (no need to restart machine).

There should be a difference in the vector line that you draw inside Toon Boom Studio inside the application. Also, be aware that this feature is really dependant of the video card you have installed on the machine.

Would it be possible to know which model of video card you have?

Best regards,

Ugo

Ok that’s obviously the problem. I just read a review about the graphics card that came with my computer and it’s not that great. I believe it’s a Radeon X300SE.

Now my question is, does anybody have any recommendations for a preferred card?

Hi,

For Toon Boom Studio you can relate to the system requirement page in the Product section. The only important thing to get the smoothing would be to get an Nvidia card for ATI has some issue with the OpenGL settings which make them unable to use our anti-aliasing function. Although, ATI drivers should have their own integrated anti-aliasing feature that can be accessed from the drivers interface.

As for the Nvidia, simply make sure that you have at least the minimum amount of ram on it and you should be fine.

Best regards,

Ugo