Light-source shading

That would be hot. Animate can put cameras at many angles, so a light source that accurately does shading, toning and shadowing, in 1 shot, would be hot. It’s a gem in video gaming, which is based in animation, right?

The idea is you place the light source, at a position, and it autocasts everything for you, no matter what objects you shine it on. It automatically picks tones based on tones of your drawings, this way you don’t have to go through every piece of a puppet, and try to make shading that doesn’t look good when you animate and break the line of shading you drew.

This obviously wouldn’t work in standard animate but definitly in pro with the 3d.

Sounds like a good idea to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Lighting in general would be a great step for Animate Pro 2. It would be cool to be able to do it all with ToonBoom and not have to take the work into After Effects.

i think this is a tricky thing as even though there’s a 3d workflow, everything is still on flat planes. not really any way to “wrap” light around these objects to create proper shading.

that said, if you create a cube out of several planes in animate pro, i can see how a positioned light object could create some fall-off on the cube. i don’t think you could get any more “organic” than that, though. of course, animators could think of many tricks for this tool, and the ability to cast auto-animated shadows from multiple objects based on a single light source would be excellent.

Hmmm… I don’t see why this couldn’t work with either version of Animate. For example, you can already create a cast shadow based on the shape of an object or character, no? That means that Animate is already tracking the base shape of 2D objects and clearly seeing them differently than the transparent parts of the layer. In theory, couldn’t that same information be used as a template or outline for a shading special effect?

Light direction could be tweaked with a 360 slider to create the base shadows from the appropriate side of the object outline. This would be very similar to the bevel and emboss filter used in programs like Photoshop except it would be primarily dealing with the colors being used in the shadow area opposite of the light source direction. When you go into the options of this tool the default, “shading” could be nothing more than a bluish black with 50% alpha. The number and color of tones in the shadow area could also be manually selected. There would also have to be some sort of masking function so that you can draw in areas of shadow that wouldn’t be generated by the base outline of the object, such as under the nose, pectorals, chin/jaw, etc. You would just draw the mask so that it connected with the generated shading in the preview.

Obviously this would be a huge time saving feature if it could be implemented.

We’ll definitely take your suggestions under consideration. The R&D department keeps a close eye on the feature requests forum.

~Lilly