Layer Properties Mystery Flyout Menus

Something I have as yet failed to understand are these flyout menus in the Layer Properties. Once I fiddled around with it but it totally screwed up my animation after which I couldn’t figure out how to “unscrew” it :P. Perhaps Lilly could do a Toon Boom Tip on this topic some day?

http://www.zebtoonz.com/index_htm_files/LayerProperties1.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, Yoryo! I agree it would be nice to see what the practical application of this function is. Like I said in my first post, I tried messing with this once and really messed up my animation. Fortunately, it was just a test file and not an actual work file :slight_smile:

Zeb, I edited the previous answer because I felt that it is clearer… I think!
basicaly, these menus are based on the use of the functions created for transformations of an element and the possibility of sharing it (sharing functions) with the changes of parameters in the same or in other elements, so that the same function control these parameters identically. The function to share should be set to “Local” and thus become “public” in Xsheet as “Unconnected” function, and appear to the right as unconnected function columns in Xsheet. Then, opening the layer properties panel of the element to share the function, and selecting it in the drop-down menus, (the “mystery flyout menus”: Bezier, Ease, Expression, Velobased, Connected, Unconnected or All), select in “Unconnected” the function created previously and click on it. To change the function to any other created search for it in the flyout menus and click on it for apply. This function now is “Connected” with the element and appear to the left to the element column in Xsheet.
To disconnect the parameter to the function make click on “Local” in the parameter function menu (arrow) and it return to Unconnected function
(is this the unscrew question?) If you connect a function to two different parameters in one element or different elements, a + sign appear in the function name and is indication that the function is shared by different parameters (these parameters has the same function curve)
Truly, I consider very useful to create a “video tip” for the practical use of these possibilities to transform elements using shared functions, and the best certified explanation about the connected and unconnected functions and others concepts.The display of the practical and correct procedure may be didactically very effective. Can I unscrew anything, or screw more? Best Regards.

Yoryo

Ok, good news is that work is not lost, because it is always a struggle. I hope that the review of the response serves to clarify one little thing. Best regards.

Yoryo

I can indeed do a Tip of the Week on the Layer Properties dialog - I’ll add it to the list!

Thanks, Lilly!

By the way I am taking a couple of weeks to discuss with the team if we want to make any changes or improvements to the way that we do Tip of the Week (just good to rehash things once in a while) so I’ll have a new Tip for you guys at the latest by the first week of February. Thanks for your patience!

~Lilly

Great, Lilly!

Suggestion: It would be helpful if you didn’t split up each weeks installment into smaller videos. I believe YouTube lets you upload longer videos. However, if you do decide to split them up, could you please add a link to the next part at the end of each video? I believe you can do this quite easily on your YouTube channel with annotations. As it is now, it’s sometimes hard to find the next part.

Excellent suggestion! In fact, that’s one of the changes we’re making this year. Last year we had a limit of 15 minutes I think, but the limit has changed.

Also last year we’d organise things into playlists, so I would always send the link to the Playlists page instead of the individual videos, it makes it much easier because it should progress automatically to the next video.

Thanks for the feedback!