Knowing where to start?

Hello everyone,

My name is Eugene, and had questions hopefully the community could help me with here.

I’m not a very good person when it comes to gathering information on products when being tasked to decide what I need.

I am looking to buy one of the products from ToonBoom. Unfortunately I am not sure where I and my animators need to start from.

I will explain what I am looking for, and what kind of area of work we are looking to apply our abilities to.

I am starting an independent film company. We have enough money to purchase most things we need. However we do not want to buy a product that can not do what we want. A product that may be incompatible with our hardware, and people.

I am a 3d animator, but I have never had any formal/professional education in 2D animation. I watched the videos here on ToonBoom discussing IK, and animation in ToonBoom. :smiley: Which is exciting, after watching a lot of the videos I assume I can do anything based solely off of our art style, that being our only limit.

I also assume that my experience in 3D animation will be handy in some way with ToonBoom.

I and everyone I work with are working in HD, at 1280 by 720 to 1920 by 1080 both animation, and video camera data. So here are a few of my questions.

Can I create a workplace size of 1280 by 720 and higher 16:9.

Can I import video data in AVI, MOV, WMV, etc.

Will I be able to export video, and image sequences to those frame sizes as well.

Is it possible to buy network licenses, which will allow several of us to work on an animation without having to buy several different licenses? (There 6 of us, and we physically meet. Nothing is done over the internet.)

We work on both Macintosh, and Windows XP/VISTA. Is ToonBoom compatibility between these two operating systems going to be a problem, or can project files import, and export between the two?

I guess that’s all I really want to know with exception to which product we need to buy.

I know companies will release different versions for different people, and groups who have different needs.

I am a little confused though, when companies post different product versions I do not know which one suites us best.

Our group will not consist of many, we have money to buy software and hardware but we do not have a lot. Is there a product version of ToonBoom that does not exceed 1200 dollars, and allow us to work as a team in the program, rather than having to buy individual licenses for each of us.

I’d love any help with these questions.

Thank you very much,

Eugene.

Hi Eugene,

You might want to get in contact with one of our sales representative concerning this as they may have a good idea of what would be the best solution for you and your team.

Best regards,

Ugo