Kinematic Output

Using Premium, I’m working through Rigging with Deformers tutorial: https://learn.toonboom.com/modules/how-to-draw-and-animate2/topic/rigging-with-deformers?c=17

I follow the instructions exactly, but when I add the Kinematic Deformer, my hierarchy does not resemble the hierarchy in the tutorial. The Kinematic Output is parented below the Deformation node, not the last bone in the hierarchy. I tried reparenting everything in Node view and results were wonky. No matter what I do, I’m unable to use the transform tool to rotate the bones after I create the Kinematic Output.

I did have success without using Kinematic Output - just parenting the hand to a peg, and parenting the peg to the last bone.

Thanks for the help,
Leslie

ps: is there a very simple character rig I could check out?

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 3.51.05 PM.png

Hi,

I had the exact same problem. I got around it by using the Node View to add the KO node. However, it’s quite frustrating that the official training materials don’t correspond to the actual software.

Could Toon Boom support shed some light on this?

Thanks

Thank you! I had the same problem.

Hey man, I see a few problems with your rig. When rigging, you ALWAYS want to attach pegs to your individual drawings. Pegs “separate” the Transformation data from the drawings, which makes it so you can scale, rotate and move the drawing (on the peg layer) without actually “Destroying” the drawing, it basically makes it a non-destructive workflow.

A good thumb rule when rigging is: Never have a drawing control a peg (meaning, never attach a peg to the bottom of a drawing node) Always go peg to peg (with exceptions of course. But the drawing rule always stands)

Based on your screenshot try doing this:

Delete everything except the two drawings and the composite stuff. attach a peg to both of them. (before you do, go to edit->Preferences->General-> under the “Settings” section, enable “default Separate Position for Pegs”. It’s a technical thing, but in short, it separates your X,Y,Z Data out into their own separate layers as a default.)

Go back to Node View, Select your upper arm Drawing layer, create your deformer (remember to put on the envelope deformer, even though it’s just two points, long story short, it makes your rig easier to animate)
When the deformer is done there should be a deformation group between your upper arm drawing and peg.

Now create your kinematic output node, attach it to the bottom of the deformation group, and attach the hand peg to the bottom of the kinematic output.
The upper arm drawing should just go directly into the deformation group.

Done, you can now deform your arm and the hand will follow. set up your pegs Pivot points and you have a working arm. :slight_smile:

Basically the kinematic output, is used when you want something to move with a deformer without it “deforming”.
play around and try and detach the kinematic output and put the hand directly into the deformer. you’ll see what I’m talking about :slight_smile:

Hope that helps a little. Hang in there. Rigging is fun, but it’s a bit of a steep learning curve.

Hi folks,

I know I’m a little late to the party, but just in case, like me, someone else stumbles across this post/problem. I just wanted to mention what is happening as I’m learning/going through the tutorials myself at the moment.

For some reason (I’m not sure why yet as I’m so new), when you add your deformation bones to the B_ARM, it automatically creates a group and places your bones inside this group. So you may notice it at the top of your hierarchy named “Deformation-B_ARM” or “Deformation-(whatever your arm is named).”

Jesse’s hierarchy doesn’t have that.

Then, when you attempt to insert the Kinematic Output to the B_ARM, we start to get different results from the video where it falls into a different position in the hierarchy.

So, to proceed like in the video, before adding the Kinematic Output to the B-ARM, right-click the “Deformation-B_ARM” group that contains your newly created deformation bones and select “Ungroup Selection.”

You’ll then be able to follow along from 1:12 in the video without any differing results!

Best of luck!

When was the last time that Toon Boom gave support here? Whole thing feels dead.

Do you want your lover back or get committed to you???
Are things happening to you that you can’t explain?
Well maybe someone’s put a hex on you?
Do you feel you are stuck in the wilderness in a situation that appears hopeless?
Do you have many enemies some enemies that you are not even aware of?
Is your love life falling apart?
Are you having many obstacles in your life?
Do your Relationships don’t last for so long?+27713651331 , babamthembu100@gmail

Do you feel you are stuck in the wilderness in a situation that appears hopeless?
Are you having many obstacles in your life? And ENLARGEMENT FOR MEN
Do your Relationships don’t last for so long?+27713651331 , babamthembu100@gmail
Is your life facing financial ruin?
Do you need protection from your enemies?
If you seek a lost lover, or want a new lover, we can help. We reunite lost loves and help others find their soul mate on a regular basis with a real and powerful love spell casting…
We also offer a custom crafted spell castings designed around your desires and situation that also saves you money. If you need extra spell work performed, a real custom spell is the best value.

If you seek a lost lover, or want a new lover, we can help. We reunite lost loves and help others find their soul mate on a regular basis with a real and powerful love spell casting…
We also offer a custom crafted spell castings designed around your desires and situation that also saves you money. If you need extra spell work performed, a real custom spell is the best value.

BRING BACK TOUR LOST LOVER
We also offer a custom crafted spell castings designed around your desires and situation that also saves you money. If you need extra spell work performed, a real custom spell is the best value. +27713651331

We also offer a custom crafted spell castings designed around your desires and situation that also saves you money. If you need extra spell work performed, a real custom spell is the best value. +27713651331