Keyframe

Hi

Excuse if this has been asked already in the same or similar way.

I’m used to Flash and in Flash I’m adding keyframes etc.

I just can’t figure out how to add a keyframe in the time line in ToonBoom Express Edition.

Basically my idea is to move the character or camera I would have to add keyframes in the time line. Easy in Flash to do but how can I do this in ToonBoom Express?

I can’t see anywhere an option in the main menu bar and neither in the contextual pop-up menu (right-click).

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

There is a major conceptional difference between TBS and Flash. TBS is based on a traditional animation metaphore. Flash is not. In TBS you use an exposure sheet and you set exposures to display art work on the timeline. Basially that is placing the art under the camera. Then you can animate your art work using pegs the same as in traditional photographic animation. That’s how you move the art under the camera as if on an animation stand compound table. You lock in your timebased manipulations of your art using key frames. Flash has a composite of exposures and pegs which it refers to as a keyframe. TBS is more flexible and provides far greater control without the need for action scripted work arounds.

I always tell people that Toon Boom Studio is based on a more traditional 2D animation approach and metaphore and assumed that they understood what that means. But I have learned from experience that many people haven’t a clue about traditional animation (photographic animation) methods. Sure they have seen references to cels and such in a book or two, but they don’t even begin to understand how animated films actually were constructed before computers became an integral part of the process. Unless you are an old timer like myself who actually has made traditional (pre-computer aided) animated films, or you have been fortunate to go to a decent art school or university that still teaches the pre-computer animation methods, then it requires some extra effort to understand and appreciate how things worked traditionally.

But, if you are wanting to use Toon Boom Studio, then the more you know about traditional photographic animation methods the easier it is to understand and use this software.

Personally, I prefer TBS and find it more oriented to 2D animation production than Flash, so I’m a very happy TBS user these days, even though I am also very experienced using Flash. But I also understand and appreciate how frustrating it can be for someone who is trying to use TBS and hasn’t any knowledge about the physical relationships between registered drawings and a camera stand and an exposure sheet and a field guide. There are plenty of great books available, which some people might think are obsolete because they are oriented to explaining the techniques and methods of photographic animation, but what is really nice is that for a person willing to study these books you can directly relate and apply most of those techniques to TBS and get some amazing results. Or you can stumble along reinventing the wheel in Flash.-JK