Key Drawing/Breakdown

Hi, I just recently started using Toonboom Animate and I’ve been following the tutorials to walk me through things, however, whenever it says to make a key drawing (draw something and make it into a “key frame”) then draw your final drawing using the onion skin…I can’t seem to squeeze a breakdown in between, it always changes both the first frame and the one I’m trying to change into a breakdown…that might be confusing…so…

I want to make frame 2 a Breakdown…but whenever I do, the first frame ALSO changes into a breakdown. So it goes from this:

1 - - - - -K
4- - - - - K

to this:

1 - - - - B
2 - - - - B
4 - - - - -K

Please help. thanks!

You probably have the first drawing exposed for multiple frames. I’m going to re-draw your example, but on the left-hand side will be the FRAME number, and in the middle will be the DRAWING number.

1 1 K
2 | K
4 2 B

Since drawing 1 is held for 2 frames, if I change some aspect of it on frame 1, that also changes on frame 2.

If you want to make a new drawing on that frame, you can either Duplicate Drawing, or you can Create Empty Drawing on that cell. Then you can do your breakdown from there. Then it will look like this.

1 1 K
2 3 B
4 2 B