Is there a Time "Counter" in Toon Boom?

Hi,

I posted this in the General category, but since no one has responded to my query, I thought I’d post it here to see if someone has an answer.

My question has to do with Synchronizing sound to Images in Toon Boom–nothing to do with Lip Synching.

I’ve written music for my scene and I want to match up certain art with specific sounds in the sound track. Flash has a time-lapse window showing minutes and seconds and I can’t find that in Toon Boom’s Drawing mode. I can open the Sound Element Editor which has that feature, but I want to see the frame I’m at AND see which minute and second I’m at while I’m editing the art.

I’ve used TBS to create several animations, but I guess I didn’t feel a need for this feature. I began the scene in Flash because I find it very helpful to have a visual on the frame number AND incremental timing of each frame. I moved into Toon Boom because I like the drawing tools better than Flash, but I was dismayed when I couldn’t find a “seconds” counter.

Am I overlooking this feature in Toon Boom or does it not exist?

Thanks,
-Elwood

elwood,
all i’ve found till now are two issues:
1. do ‘stream’ your sound in the sound editor. it synchronizes the sound and graphics pretty well, provided that it’s the only one soundtrack in the film.
2. the animation preview has a time counter down left, and when you render only a fraction of your film with preview sound turned on (select your frames in the exposure sheet and then click ‘enter’), you could check the time and the place of your art.

either there is no other possibility to have the exact preview of the sound synchro, or i’m not so far yet to know it.
cheers,
rob

Thank you, Rob, for responding. Good to hear from you. I follow your posts here pretty regularly, even though I don’t log on to comment. You are one of the great resources on this forum.

I’ll make sure I set my sound to Stream, in case it’s not set that way now. I did notice the couner when I render, but it’d sure be nice if, like in Flash, Toon Boom would add one to the timeline so we could visually see where the frames were in relationship to the sound when scrubbing. I wonder if they have it in their more expensive animation software.

Best Wishes,
-Elwood

Elwood,
I read your initial post and of course sound sync particualrly effects and music are two of my priority areas of interest. So as part of my current evaluation, I will be doing some research into this, and I will try to assist you as I learn or discover a solution approach. I haven’t tested this yet but I believe that if you place a sound element in a column on the exposure sheet and set that element’s column to display thumbnails then the waveform of the sound element will be displayed. And you can then place frame comment notes on the appropriate frames that line up with the waveform peaks to identify your syncronization target frames based on tempo or beat changes. The fact that the timeline frame marker doesn’t move with the playhead and there is no interactive frame counter is a disadvantage although in traditional animation that is part of track reading and then noting on the exposure sheets and this solution that lets you view the waveform and make frame notes is helpful. I’ll post some real test result thoughts as soon as I have a chance to really investigate this area.

Elwood,
So far I have to say that the sound element editor is a great tool for track reading. It has a moving play head shows the wave form and the frame count and you can zoom in and really work out the sound to frame relationships easily. This is the best initial place to determine and plan your animation to sound. Then you can add cel notes on your exposure sheet or on paper if you choose. There is also the ability to view a sound wave or bar form in the timeline itself and you can enable scrubing and fine tune your work by just draging the frame slider back and forth. Then the last stage in fine adjusting your sound to visuals would be to render and watch the movie itself but that is after you have done 90% of the syncing in the sound element editor and on the timeline or exposure sheet. I was initially concerned that TBS was too dependent on the lip sync feature and weak on other sound syncing features but that is not the case at all, I’m very impressed and it is much more robust than Flash in this area.