Is the TOUCH version of a Cintiq really necessary?

Hi all,

I am wondering if any of you who have the most recent Wacom Cintiq 27QHD or 22HD TOUCH can verify whether it’s truly an advantage or necessary to have versus the NON-TOUCH version of a Cintiq. It’s about a $400 difference in price, so if it’s not worth it, I won’t get it!

I see there is a remote with the new Cintiq 27QHD and I’m wondering if it’s just as easy to program one of the buttons to zoom in and out, or other TOUCH like functions.

Being someone who has never had a Cintiq at all, I’m wondering if there’s anything else important I should know before I purchase one.

Thanks in advance for your input on this topic!

I hate touch and i personally never use it, it would just get in the way at times. Using psychical keys to zoom/move/etc is far faster/easier/accurate.

Check out this video: https://youtu.be/9F-1VVIYsV4?t=14m1s

Why not get a second hand cintiq 21ux off ebay? They are cheap, but very good.
I agree i wouldn’t bother with expensive gimmicky touch screens. The customisable buttons and touch sliders on the cintiq are excellent.

I have a cintiq 13hd touch, and never use the touch… maybe in the future :wink: if the difference $$$ is not huge, go for it, you never know if in the future
harmony gets better or a new workflow with touch… (this is why I go it touch

Have to say, I went the Ipad Pro route with the apple pencil and LOVE it. I use Cintiqs at work, but man, what a difference! The screen resolution is WAY better, and you don’t have the parallax issue, AND it’s way cheaper. Before you jump, head over to a Apple store and try it, you may think twice.

And to connect, I use astropad. Best 10 dollars I ever spent!

i can’t see how the touch feature would be worth the 400 bucks difference. I have a Cintiq and I am quiet happy with using the buttons with my non-dominant hand, it’s quick and does the trick. I say you are better off spending these 400 on something else.

you cannot use Toon boom with ipad pro… :wink:

You sure can! Astropad duplicates the main computer’s screen, anything you see on your computer, you see on the IPad Pro. In my opinion, I get WAY better control on the IPad Pro then I do with a Wacom. And the project I am currently working on has a TON of detail.

And as a funny side note, I just updated astropad which said their update targets Harmony.

Please, again, take a look before you leap. It’s a pretty expensive decision either way, just look at the options!

Good luck!

Thanks for your input and the video link!

It’s good to know that the customizable buttons and sliders will do the job on their own. Thanks for your input!

Ah, a whole different route getting the iPad Pro, that’s a very interesting idea … do you know if the resolution is higher on the iPad Pro and / or is the screen bigger than the CIntiq 13’’?

That’s pretty cool that their update solely targeted Harmony, it’s good to hear that this animation software is getting some much deserved attention!

Thanks so much for your input!

That’s a good point. It’s reassuring to know that I could live without the touch and work freely with the buttons. Thanks!

Hmm, I wonder how the workflow would improve with the touch in Harmony. It would be nice if someone demonstrated in a YouTube video! Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

Here’s the info

13" Cintiq…The screen measures 13.3 inches (338mm) with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 for full HD viewing at a smidge over 165 pixels per inch.

Ipad Pro…The iPad Pro has a 12.9-inch display, which is 78 percent larger than the 9.7-inch display of the iPad Air 2. It’s Apple’s most advanced display yet, with a 2732 x 2048 (264 ppi) resolution. That equates to 5.6 million pixels, which is higher than any existing iOS device and even the Retina MacBook Pro.

Look on youtube to see some more comparisons… people are sending their tablets back to switch. But it’s a individual’s choice, you may still like the cintiq over the Ipad.

Good luck!

Interesting, I did not know about Astropad,
can be an awesome option on the go, for mac users,

Hey fineartist, I have a PC and a PC version of Harmony and an iPad Pro - I’ve seen the Harmony working on the iPad Pro with the Astropad a while ago and the moving around the interface - scrubbing the timeline, etc. seemed very pixelated. Is it better now with the updated Astropad? I want to get a Mac to try Harmony on my iPad Pro with the Astropad, but not sure how usable it would be if the pixelation issue is still there. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.