Is scaling in drawing view important?

I just finished drawing a character (split into several drawing elements) in camera view, and found out that the scale of each element was wildly different in drawing view. For example, the head is scaled much larger in drawing view, but looks fine in camera view (and top/side/rendered movie as well).

Since I’m able to proceed with pegs and making the scene regardless of the drawing view’s scaling issues, I was wondering if an accurate scale in drawing view is critically important or a nice-to-have? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!

You might want to read this article Toon Boom Fundamentals - The Basics part 2. It explores the reason for each view and puts them into perspective in terms of a work flow.

It is probably a good idea to not draw in camera view. Yes, TBS will let you draw in camera view but that’s not a good practice. If you draw in drawing view you are actually creating your art without any special display presentation characteristics attached. Attaching display characteristics is reserved for camera view (this is covered nicely in the above referenced article).

Because drawing view lets you create your work as it is and not using special display settings, you can reuse the art work easily in the same or other scenes or projects. Each time you reuse the work you can set it up in the scene’s camera view as needed.

But if you draw in camera view and want to reuse the art elsewhere you are forced to also transfer all the staging and display characteristics too. That just complicates the task at hand. There isn’t a lot of value gained by drawing in camera view and there is an added complexity factor that’s added.

Use your drawing board to draw and paint and use your camera stand to stage and present your art. It’s a good work flow method.-JK

The “Fundamentals” article made perfect sense, and I’m convinced - I will treat “Drawing view” as a physical cell for now on.

I guess I was using camera view simply because it was nice to see all the individual drawing elements of a character at once, rather than in segments.

I suppose I should draw the entire character first, then split them up afterwards.

You don’t have to do that in drawing view, just use keyboard short cut L to turn on the auto light table function and you can see all the layers you want at the same time just the same as in camera view. The auto light table is for viewing multiple layers at the same time.

Onion skinning is for viewing multiple cells in the same element all at the same time, and the static light table is to view one or more static cells at the same time you work on multiple cells in other elements. I’ll cover these features in my next tutorial but until then start using the auto light table because it is a really valuable tool. -JK

Perfect! Thank you for your insights!