is it just me or

does the new tbs help menu have some issues

i am finding way to many problems with this aaaaaaa im only 16 and this just seems like too much for me to learn i cant figure out cut out i dont know if i dont have the time or what goodness sakes

its ok im just goin crazy i just feel like it isnt worth the time i am spending to figure this program out haha sorry you guys for the outburst

take a deep breath :slight_smile:

It definitely takes a bit of getting used to as well as getting frustrated, but it will come to you. I was stuck on the same problem myself & was reading tutorials & forum posts over & over & it still didnt click, but then while watching the quicktime tutorial for the hundredth time or so, it just all made sense, & I had my char rigged up like a puppet in no time.

First step: draw your char in drawing view. you just need one frame.

2nd: copy each individual part of your char that you will want on its own layer, and copy them into new drawing elements. Do this for each body part that you will want eventually move independantly (Upper arms/forearms/hands/head/mouth etc.) Now you will have a bunch of drawing elements in your timeline, with each piece on its own layer. Use the auto light table to see all layers & how they line up.

3rd: Now you’ll want to close some gaps in your individual elements so that when pieces move, whatever is behind them will be revealed. you might need to connect some lines, or add “patches” of color to hide lines where you don’t want them.

4th: Now switch to camera view. You need to select all of your drawing elements, and attach them to parent pegs. when you do this, a new element will appear on the timeline over each drawing element & will have a -P at the end of the name. Having done that, you can set up the order of your layering, which determines what elements appear on top of others. You want a pretty good idea of your layering before you actually set up your peg heirarchy, as it becomes a little trickier to change it once the hierarchy is established.

5th: ok. now you want to establish your peg hierarchy. This refers to the relationships of the pegs that you just set up in the last step. For this example, lets take your “mouth-P” peg and drag it to your “head-P” peg. The mouth peg should then appear indented under the head peg (if the head peg is collapsed it will highlight green, open it & you’ll see the mouth peg). Now the head is a parent of the mouth, and where the head goes, the mouth will follow. Again, do the same with the arms, making the upper arm or shoulder the parent to the forearm, and the forearm a parent to the hand. Now, when you move the upper arm, the forearm & hand will move with it.

6th: Set your pivot points. now go one by one through your peg elements (still in camera view) and using the Rotate sceneplanning tool, set up the green dot which will be your pivot point for that element. Obviously set the shoulder’s pivot point where it looks natural & just use your best judgement for each part (where the head rotates on the neck etc.)

Once you’ve done that to each element, your char should be rigged up like a puppet, and you can set keyframes using the sceneplanning tools to make him dance or move however you’d like.

I hope that this is helpful, if it’s confusing or anything I surely understand. Check out JK’s tips & tricks thread in the tutorials section as well, he’s got alot of good points on layering tricks & might explain some things more clearly than I can.

Best of luck man, keep at it
-Pat

thank you i will keep trying

np man, watch the der der tutorial over & over with each of the steps above, it should help it make some sense & will give you a visual.