Is it difficult?

jeeez, i mean chunks of the whole stack: instead of importing, say, all 400 images, try to import 20 at a time, then another 20. or maybe 50, who knows?
just try to explore the tool a bit.
cheers,
rob

How would I make balloons for text e.g. like in comics, so that they appear for each scene (when a character is talking)? I’m not adding any voices, just text.

just put your longest text there and then surround it by the drawn balloons. shorter texts would then have more space around.
where is the problem?
cheers,
rob

is there an option to write text in the frame(s)?

uhm, sorry, only since v3. you don’t have one, right?
cheers,
rob

So is this how it works:

I make drawings e.g. 50 drawings (along with backgrounds), and then go to play, and basically thats my animation, correct? From the point that I complete my drawings the way I want them, adding movement to each drawing is not that hard, right? They are not going to be complex drawings (more static-like), I am just going to be adding my own music for the background. Is it that simple?

Would it be easier if I complete all of my drawings first, then add in movement to the frames? Also, would 200 drawings be two minutes of animation (I played it, and it plays pretty fast)? I haven’t completed all 200 but, each drawing being played is fast.

Animation timing is calculated based on the “frame rate” for playback. The “frame rate” specifies how many frames will be displayed per second of time. It is stated as part of the animation properties along with the display size of your movie. Frame rates are shown as FPS (frames per second).

So for example most animation is set to 24 FPS. Therefore each second of screen time has 24 frames.

Now drawings and frames are different. Even if each drawing will be presented in a different frame you have the option to “hold” that drawing for more than one frame. This is called the number of exposures for the drawing. You will sometimes hear someone say this sequence is on 2’s or on 3’s. This means that each drawing is exposed for 2 frames or for 3 frames respectively.

So for example if you have 200 drawings in a sequence and that sequence is on 2’s then you will have 400 frames, 2 frames for each drawing. Now to determine the amount of screen time this represents, you divide the number of frames by the frame rate (400/24) =16.6 secs.

You could also work backwards from the desired screen time to determine the frames required by taking the time desired 2 mins. and multiplying it times the frame rate after you convert it to secs. So (2 * 60)= 120 secs. (120 * 24) = 2880 frames.

Even on 2’s that means (2880/2) = 1440 drawings. On 3’s it means (2880/3) = 960 drawings.

Animation timing is all about the number of frames used for a sequence or action and about the rate of change between each drawing and the next drawing, the amount of change in the drawings relative to each other. So if you want someting to be slower you use more drawings and smaller changes between the drawings and if you want it to be faster you use fewer drawings and larger changes between the drawings. Hopefully this will help you begin to understand some of the basics. -JK

When I am about to export as a quicktime movie, under video compression settings, under motion, if I match the frames per second with key frame, will that make it out of sync in a way? Currently right now, its set at (12 frames per second, key frame every 24 frames), is that adequate?

this is the keyframe setting for the video compression. it gets set to every 2 seconds by default. it’s ok so.

if you’re new to the software, it’s not your concern at all. it’s the way tbs manages the compressing of quick time output of your work.
cheers,
rob