iPad apps

With the introductions of apple’s iPad my wish is ToonBoom ports there apps to work with the iPad. I’ve been waiting on a solution that makes sense for the marriage of mac’s and ToonBoom’s storyboard Pro.

Sure there was a "mac tablet before the iPad but it is not cost effective for some one like me who doesn’t create boards as often but with the introduction of that new iPad i could justify that.

Thanks for hearing me.

I agree with you on this point. However I think that Toon boom would be better served if they made their own dedicated tablet that doesn’t run a particular OS. But just a simple Toon boom tablet period. With their own software. This would create a more cost effective experience and take the paperless work flow to a new level. The Ipad will run into an issue due to the fact the screen is not pressure sensative. It cannot be used with a stylus and will not provide the drawing experience. Also Toonboom software also carries flash elements in which we all know is not compatible with the IPAD or IPhone OSs. The best route in my opinion would be to create a wireless tablet with Wi Fi only that can run toonboom software without using a specific OS. This would provide the customer an option for sketching and storyboarding and animating on the go.

Thank you for your input on this issue.

For the reasons Gregore stated, it is not possible for our apps to run on the iPad.

We do package our own tablets with the low-end softwares, but for high-end work, you really do benefit from a company like Wacom that spends 100% of their time developing hardware. Toon Boom is a software development company, we do not design our own hardware. We try to be as flexible as possible so that people can take advantage of the hardware of their choice, however.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

I am in the mobile communications industry and while I was attending the more for less tour I had the pleasure of speaking to Your CEO.0 She asked me what she can do to get into the mobile market. I told her I would get back to her once I got back to my office in Colorado Springs. I sent her a link for SDKs for Windows mobile and Android (Google). Each one of these platforms would be more that capable of handling flash apps as well as utilizing a pressure sensetive screen. I understand staying true to software development, that makes a lot of sense. And yes wacom does make very good products but they do not make a all in one touch device. What we are looking for is an alternate options to carrying around a sketch pad in our back packs. The next issue is along the lines of convenience and pricing. A windows stylus tablet would be great hear especially for the price point however not a lot of those are on the market at the moment.

Thank you for that information. I will do a follow-up with Joan regarding the SDKs link that you sent her. This would indeed be a very interesting market for us to pursue in the future.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

Having tried out the iPad I will say that one difficulty with the device is having a precise way to “sketch” - I have tried it with a stylus and it works much better than a finger but its not the best experience int he world.

That being said, I think there could be a place for a knocked down version of storyboard pro for the ipad that allowed you to do some of the importing of a script and setting up frames and do very VERY basic sketching that later you could use as a base or underlay once you opened this file in the full computer version of Storyboard Pro.

The iPad is a great tool for pre planning and setting things up and i would love to do some of this pre work on a train or plane or in a cafe without having to have a laptop and then be able to update and do a more polished job when I get to the laptop.

There are some great sketching mobile apps out there “sketchbook pro” from autodesk being one of them, so i think there is a market for this type of tool, especially when used with a stylus ( yes NOT pressure sensitive, but a good way to do some basic input and visual investigation)

I think it would be worth investigating and something I would be willing to pay for to help enjoy a mobile experience.

Just my 2cents

E

I am in the mobile communications industry and while I was attending the more for less tour I had the pleasure of speaking to Your CEO.0 She asked me what she can do to get into the mobile market. I told her I would get back to her once I got back to my office in Colorado Springs.

Thank you for that information.

Just as an update from our end on this one, we are doing much more development with apps from Toon Boom. We have started out with Flip Boom Lite, but we are working to expand our tablet capabilities in the future. We are moving ahead aggressively with this market but I can’t say yet when a Storyboarding app specifically may be available.

~Lilly