Importing bitmaps and vector drawing

I have been experimenting with TOON BBOOM and Photoshop CS. I have been designing my characters in Photoshop then importing them in TOON BOOM. I create a new drawing then import a vector version in the cell. I have only one image that this worked with. The others cause TOON BOOM to crash. I have several questions about how TBS imports bitmapped images:
1. Is it better to import only line drawings in TBS then color them once imported?
2. Should I convert the image using another package such as Streemline or Flash MX. If so which one.
3. Is there a limit as to how big the incoming bit map is. Mine are about 3000 by 2000 pixels.
4. Are there any tutorials on how to import pencil drawings or pixel art into Toon Boom?
These problems are causing me some real problems. The only characters that have gotten in were Drawn and painted in Photoshop, then imported into Flash MX. I centered the character on the stage and exported them as a single frame swf movie. From TOON BOOM I imported the swf file and got rid of the white borders.

Hi dday100,

1. Is it better to import only line drawings in TBS then color them once imported?

This is one strategy that may work for you, but it depends on what you expect for your final render. If your color art is complex and contains many effects, you may not be able to recreate it so easily in Studio. In this case, importing “with texture” may be the better option. If it is relatively simple, then doing the color art in Studio will save you a great deal in terms of memory resources.

2. Should I convert the image using another package such as Streemline or Flash MX. If so which one.

You can simply convert the image directly in Studio using the “Import and Vectorize” feature. Note, however, that this imports your bitmap and envelops it in a Flash container… so technically it is still a bitmap image as far as resolution is concerned. If you need the imported bitmap to be fully vectorized, then you should look at an external app that specializes in this, although I can’t say I have any experience with those you mentioned.

3. Is there a limit as to how big the incoming bit map is. Mine are about 3000 by 2000 pixels.

If there is a limit, it is determined only by your system’s specifications. If you have the memory required to import a bitmap of that size, then you should experience no problems. If, however, the file ends up taking much of your available resources during import, you may notice a performance hit on your system.

4. Are there any tutorials on how to import pencil drawings or pixel art into Toon Boom?

There is a tutorial here that deals with bitmap character creation, but doesn’t say much about pencil/pixel art, specifically. You can also try searching for “Vectorizing Bitmaps” in the Studio Help file (F1).

Hope this helps.