Importing AVI files for rotoscoping - images black

Hi. I’m using ToonBoom Studio 4.5 on XP. I tried importing an AVI file to rotoscope. The sound comes through fine but the image is completely black. I did the import with the default opacity (50%) the first time. I tried changing that but still the image is black.

I thought that it might be an issue with the file, so I tried importing it in DigiCell FlipBook. Works great there. I’d rather use Studio if I can, so I’d like to know if there is some setting that I’m overlooking?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

It might have something to do with the codec used to create the avi. Have you tried opening that AVI inside of Quicktime to see if it opens properly? If you still have the original project of the AVI you might want to try exporting it with a different codec too.

Regards,

Ugo

Ugo, looks like you’re right. The AVI shows up with a completely black picture in Quicktime.

Will installing the right codec for Quicktime resolve the problem?

Mike

Hi Mike,

If you manage to find the codec that display the avi inside of Quicktime the import video function should import the avi correctly. If you can’t manage to find the codec maybe you could convert the file from avi to mov, this should fix the situation.

Regards,

Ugo