Importing an AI file as separate layers rather than substitutions?

I have the option selected in preferences to import AI files as separate layers but when I do import it, the layers are substitutions instead of layers. How do I solve this problem? Thanks.

Which version of Harmony are you using?
Which version of Illustrator have you used to create an AI file?
Was sub-layer under layer in AI? In general, Harmony will only recognize the layer. And all drawings from sub-layers under layer will be merged into one layer in Harmony.

Toon Boom Version 12.2, Illustrator CS6, there are no sub layers just normal independent layers. Thanks.

Any ideas?

Hi,

did you have a look at that topic.
https://forums.toonboom.com/toon-boom-harmony/general-discussion/import-illustrator-layers-harmony-1001

The workaround used here is that you’d use a script to export the layers from Illustrator as PDF files (it’s a vector format actually) which you could then easily import as separate layers.

Another workaround would be:

1. Import your Illustrator file to the library as a template.

2. Close Harmony.

3. In your file explorer go to the directory where that template folder was created and remove its ‘.tpl’ extension. Now the template folder will be considered by Harmony as a regular directory.

4. Reopen Harmony. In the library View navigate to the directory where the template had been created. As described in point 3 the template folder should now be displayed as a new folder within the library.

5. Enter this folder and go to the ‘/elements/name of ypour ilustrator file/’ subdirectory

6. Here you should see all the contained .tvg images that had been created from the layers of your Illustrator file.

7. These tvg images can be dragged into the timeline and will create a separate layer for each of them.

Thanks Stefman,

That script works. I wonder what the point of the option to import as separate layers is for.

Cool, I’m glad that it could help you out.

I think that the option ‘import as separate layers’ means that it imports the different layers of your AI file. It does not mean that it imports them TO different layers.

If I understood well, this means that if you hadn’t selected that option the whole AI image would have been imported to a merged single frame.

Riiiight gotchya. Thanks!

I just found a more straightforward method, very close to method 2.
This method has the advantage that everything can be done within Harmony, without having to use the Illustrator script or close the software.

1. Import your Illustrator file to the library as a template.

2. On the newly created template do a RIGHT CLICK->‘Open As Folder’.

3. In the library tree view navigate into the template folder and go to …/elements/Name Of your Drawing/
    Now, on the right side, you will see all the tvg images corresponding to the AI file’s layers. These tvg images can be dragged into the timeline and will create a separate layer for each of them.

Ah cheers for the help man. Appreciate that.