Importing a bitmap without losing detail

I have not been able to import an image pixel by pixel and I have tried every setting I could find. I design some simple characters in Photoshop which I save out as png or bmp images. Many times, there is no gradient, so the flat colors are crisp and the outlines of the characters are pixely and crisp also. This is intentional. However, the images are high resolution, many times backgrounds at 1920x1080. I have had Animate 2 for about a year, but I never got around to anything serious, because the import features are hard to figure out. I would like to import raster images for animation without losing the detail of the images. It is impossible to think that this can not be done with Animate 2 so, I think I just can’t figure it out. I want to import the images so I can cut them out. Since Animate is vector based, I will not draw on the images, and might even cut them out in Photoshop before importing. However, the animation has to be done with Animate. How in the world can I do this. Can someon explain why imported images are always blurred out and how I can maintain an exact resolution. For example, I have a 1920x1080 background and a 200x500 character. How can I maintain the right ratio during an import and how can I do this without losing the sharp detail of the raster images? Any help is appreciated. I have been trying to figure this out for almost a year now. btw - both the opengl preview and render view look bad.

I feel your pain on importing Krisztian, I’m using Harmony and it’s the exact same there. I just went through all this recently on the boards - take a look at this thread for more illumination:

https://forums.toonboom.com/toon-boom-animate-family/general-discussion/importing-oversized-psd-backgrounds

As far as the blurriness goes, that’s probably a preview issue. If you look at it in render view (hopefully) it will look clear. I would also recommend cutting up characters in PS and then importing your layers (handy side tip: put all layers in individual groups in order to bring them into animate as layers). Hope that helps - good luck!

ChrisP

Even elementary, should be noted that an image without vectorization only displays correctly if the camera view is in “render view”.
As a first step, the imported image must be compatible with the measures established in the TBAnimate project
Then, a project of 1920 x 1080 px (HDTV) will require to fill your frame, an image of that size and 72 dpi to fit.
With an image of that size you can not done a zoom in, because it approaches the limit of resolution required for HDTV. If you want to zoom in, the image will be proportionally larger in dpi (150, 300 dpi or more)
Images are imported as photoshop group of layers of equal measure in TBA, so that all layers are consistent in pixels size to fit in the project, inclusive if their backgrounds are transparent. The imported image only may be scaled to smaller sizes, so that if it is a character, it must be as large as its closest approach on the frame required overall, and resized with pegs in TBA, this is the big difference between using an image pixel and vector graphics, this latter approach has no zoom in or truck in limitations.
The picture quality rendering of TBA has excellent result for the imported images without TBA vectorization, and rules fit.
In the imported images and vectorized in TBA, there has been a very slight loss sharpen when they were rendered from TBA, adjusted to the size of the project frame by means of a peg with value z = 4F (Project size: 1920 x 1080 px - image size: 1920 x 1080 px - 72 dpi)
Clarified that the vectorization was performed without advanced settings, only with the standard color vectorization preset.
Vectorized images can be manipulated with TBA tools as normal drawings (specially setting the drawing pivots)
I hope the above serve to clarify something. Regards.

Yoryo

When you read in the image using I m read, what is the size of the variable?

If “size of the variable” is refered to the image sizes for close, to get close (truck in) to compose an image to half its full width, the imported image should be 4 times the necessary resolution HDTV (72 dpi), ie: 288 dpi, because you will framing 1/4 of the image surface, and that 1/4 of image should contain the same number of pixels that requires 1920 x 1080 for not submitting pixelation by low resolution.
Photoshop provides in “image size” steps to calculate the size of your image in pixels or inches.

Yoryo

Great things.
Thankx yoryo.