Import Line Drawings

I have a pencil line test drawn on acme pegged paper (12w x 10h) that I would like to feed onto my eMac then into TB.

Input means available(?)

A digital camera, tripod and peg bars.

A Black and White security camera that I used to use to input line tests into an Amiga 1500 via a programm called Take 2, it has video out.

A DAC100 analogue to digital converter, this will plug directly into the eMac and has a video in.

A scanner, but the bed is too narrow (12 x 9) on the depth and is scuzzie connected to my Mac 6500.

Has anybody any thoughts/experience about any of these input methods. Is there another simpler way of inputting these line drawings.

I haven’t got the money to buy a tablet that would take the paper size that the line drawinga are drawn on. I don’t want to redraw the whole cartoon if possible.

cheers

stevebaz ???

Sorry i can´t comment your promblem. But topic was suitable for my question. :slight_smile:

Have anyone any good tips, after vectorized ,how to get scanned line drawings to look less Flash-looking lines? I scan inked (drawing pen 0,5) drawings to jpg´s and then vectorized those to TBS. But i hate that Flash-looking lines (which make some drawings so impersonal). I have tested diffrent vectorized settings, but there wasn´t any big difference. It would be great, if that looks more that what i had draw.
TBS is great on it´s features and user interface. But , if there would be some version between TBS and TBSolo (for poor students like me :wink: ), that would be great :slight_smile: . So then i can do more “traditional” 2D with pen drawn pictures.

Here is how we do it, so this may inspire you with some ideas. If you have any questions please ask, as we are always glad to help out.- JK
Pencil Test System

Thanks JK - TGRS

Your “lashup” looks very much like Bob Godfrey’s early stand, except that his lampshades were made from old milk tins and his camera was a wooden hand cranked pre 1939 camera converted to take single frame.

I guess I shall have to go down a similar road as you and Bob thanks for your reply I shall keep referring to your images -

cheers

Stevebaz

A camera stand is pretty basic in that a vertical configuration is most often chosen. (Easy to place the art work on a flat surface) The lighting is mostly a matter of deciding how to get appropriate illumination without producing glare or shadows. You don’t want the lighting to “add” anything to the art you just want it to make it crisp and clear when you capture an image. The value of a DV camera besides the obvious advantage of a built in firewire interface is that it has a zoom lens which means that you can enlarge your art as you capture it reducing loss after the fact by trying to do that inside the computer. Of course the other advantages of this type of set up are a larger field of view than most scanners and of course it captures the image faster than scanning. The down side is you manually have to change each piece of art which isn’t required if your scanner has an autofeeder. I know that Elwood built a similar type of stand using a photographic copy stand he bought on eBay for a very low price. -JK