Illustrator files not importing in Harmony 22

Hello! When I export Illustrator files (in CS2) into Toon Boom with the same resolution as the Harmony file into the Library, and when I drag them either to the timeline or Camera view, nothing happens. I have experimented both with simple shapes in few layers and multiple shapes in several layers (with seven as maximum), but none of them work.

In fact, when searching to import, none of the Illustrator files appear to select; I had to write the file names to select them (it only appears to support SWF files only, since .ai and .pdf files seem absent). While successfully importing them, the file does not even appear in Library preview. I followed multiple tutorials, but none seem to work. What are the missing steps for Illustrator files to appear visible in Toon Boom? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This has been a known issue since Harmony Version 22.0.2 and hopefully the fix for it will be implemented soon as mentioned below:

In the meantime, you can use Harmony Version 22.0.1 instead to import illustrator files as that still works.

You might also be interested in knowing about this limitation when it comes to importing Illustrator files which I hope will be improved on in the future as well:

Hello @DigitalDesignDude ! I used an older Toon Boom version (I do not have 22.0.1), and it worked! While the file successfully exported with a 1080p resolution, I will check exporting files in 4x3 ratio if any deformations occur. Regardless, thank you for the info!

1 Like

Hello
I’m using version 22.0.3 and it doesn’t seem to be fixed yet.
Harmony still does not import Illustrator files.
The next point is that going back to previous versions is risky, especially when you are in the middle of a project.

Yes, unfortunately, it hasn’t been fixed yet and I look forward to when it will be.

If you aren’t able to wait for that, you might want to consider reaching out to the support team at desk@toonboom.com like Mel mentioned in that earlier post I shared.

1 Like

Since you are in the middle of a project, you may export the Illustrator files as SWF and import them into Toon Boom. It divides almost everything (if not everything) into their own layers, prompting the creation of a group for them. Another option would be importing the Illustrator files as PNG, but they would appear pixelated.

If you have not worked in some scenes yet and need Illustrator files in them, it would be better working in an earlier Toon Boom version, at least until the issue has been solved for the software’s next version. Hope this helps.

1 Like