IK - Character Thrown Around

When I use the IK manipulation tool to move a leg my character goes berserk and is thrown all around in contortions. It’s a simple rigged figure with one foot nailed and I have been successful moving the other leg with the IK tool. But since I deleted some key frames this odd reaction has occurred.

Anyone encountered this effect - and what do I need to do to rectify it or avoid it in future?

When you say it goes berserk, do you mean when you try to use the IK tool, or during playback? If it’s while using the tool, try moving a little with the transform tool then go back to the IK tool. Does it still act crazy?

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

This happens in real time not in animation. I have a rigged figure side-on. I rotate the right leg out using the transform tool. I click on IK tool. The left foot has a nail and the body pivot is set to translate. The moment I try to move the un-nailed leg the whole character is flung around.

This only started happening after I deleted some key frames. Until that point I had successfully moved the character a step forward with the left foot rooted on the spot. I am new to Animate, and have only started learning IK. Is there a walk cycle tutorial using IK available?

It may be possible that by deleting those keyframes that you had flipped the character over between the now first and last keyframes - but this wouldn’t cause it to go crazy simply by using the tool. There is an introduction to IK in the User Guide that you can access from the help menu. You can also download the free Kick-start videos from the eLearning section of the website:

http://www.toonboom.com/products/animate/eLearning/

There is a section called “Animating your Puppet” that has a couple of sub-sections dealing with the IK tool.

Does this happen also with a new rig that you create? Did you set up your pivots on your hierarchy correctly? Perhaps you could attach a screenshot of what your hierarchy looks like when it goes berserk.

If you continue to have problems with the IK tool then it might be a good idea to send us your file so that we can see exactly what you’re talking about. You could email techsupport@toonboom.com and they’ll help you out further.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

Thanks for your reply. I have set up new character IK rigs and so far have not had a repeat of the weird effect. If I ever encounter it again and cannot solve it, I’ll consider sending you the file. Again, thanks for looking into it.

No problem - sorry for the inconvenience. Please do get back to us with a project file if you’d like us to look into it further. :slight_smile:

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support