I still don't understand.

Hi

I was wondering if anybody can help me. I am a little confused. I have tried to find tutorials specifically for this and read up on in but can’t seem to find what I need.

I just want to have my character and be able to easily switch views while animating.

I have my character in front view all rigged up. My next stage is to rig the other views. Side, 3Q etc. This is where I get a bit lost. Where do I place the side view rigged character? Shall I just put it on the next frame, on the same layer as if it was a substitution, and if so how would I go about having another rig for this cut out character? I take it I have to have it separate in the node view? Do I need to include transformation switches and when do I include the Transformation Chain drop-down list?

Also say I just wanted a head turn, without moving the whole body. How would I create a substitution for the head when it has multiple children? More complex than just say a hand right?

Sorry for all the questions but I feel like this is the last hurdle before I can get stuck in to animating. If anyone can help me or knows of any good tutes covering this that would be great. Thanks.

Thanks for your help.

There’s a video on the Deformation chapter for Harmony 10 that might help to understand these concepts. The video is called “Creating a Full Character Turnaround Deformation Rig”. Note that using deformation or not is irrelevant for this process.

https://www.toonboom.com/resources/video-tutorials/video/creating-a-full-character-turnaround-deformation-rig

A couple of videos in the Library section might also be useful. Note that this videos are from the time of Harmony 10 and before, so some settings and preferences might be different now.

https://www.toonboom.com/resources/video-tutorials/chapter/library

Check especially Templates and Importing Templates. I think you can ignore anything that mentions Symbols.

A short answer to your main question is that for the turnaround to work you have to make the angles on the same layers. So the body would be a layer with drawings f, s, 3q, b and 3qb, for instance, while the hands could be f1, f2, f3; s1, s2, s3, b1, b2,… etc. Some layers need more than one drawing per angle, such as hands and eyes for the character to blink or the mouth.

The head should be in its own group. The basic principle is saving keyframes for the angles and for the head angles in the library so that you can just drag and drop. The software will recognize a similar structure, so the side head group will match the 3q head group layer. You can also have a single KF on the master peg to switch all angles of simply reuse animation. This has a lot of complexities. There was a detailed video about all this process of keyframing all angles and saving them on the library…

Luis Canau

These Toom Boom Tips videos might help also:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ToonBoomTips/search?query=templates

Check those about Master Templates and then the others about Action Templates.

Luis Canau