I can't find the RESHAPE menu

All I want to do is use the ease functions in the function editor. The book tells me I need to use the reshape menu, but not where it’s located. Help!

I couldn’t find it either, but I know I’ve used it!

Then I changed the function editor to Velocity and it showed up:

http://cartoonthunder.com/various/TBSreshape.jpg

Hi,

The reshape button is in the top right of the function editor. Be aware that to set some ease on movement (motion path and pivot path) you will need to reshape the velocity function (in the top middle drop down menu). All the other function should have the reshape function as well.

So basically to change the shape of the curve all you will have to do is click on the icon below the Reshape title. If you want another type of curve you can change it with the drop down menu that is opened by clicking on the arrow pointing down.

Best regards,

Ugo

Got it. I hadn’t looked under Velocity before.

My new problem is getting the velocity editor to recognize all my keyframes. I want an ease in on 40 and an ease out before reaching 60. Unfortunately, it’s applying the ease in/out over the length of the entire scene. It starts on 40, then ends around 160 – totally ignoring the keyrframes I have set in between!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/511191477_31437bff76.jpg

Hi,

In that case you will need to create extra keyframes in your velocity. Basically create a keyframe at the same frame that you have keyframe in in the motion path.

Once done select the keyframe you want the ease in to start from and reshape the curve from there, then skip to the next keyframe and there you can put a static velocity and so on.

This being said make sure that your velocity is always increasing from the beginning to the end of the scene. The distance you put % wise is not really relevant but simply make sure not to reach 100% until you are at the last keyframe.

Best regards,

Ugo

Each function has its own keyframe–motion (one key from all three axis), rotation, velocity…etc.

I think you can create a keyframe in the timeline that will apply to all functions by using the insert keyframe option in the rightclick menu. Don’t quote me on that.

to put keyframes at corresponding places in time, just switch funciotns in the funtion editor and user the add keyframe button.

You actually get more flexibility by having the keys apply to separate functions.

Still stumped. I go to frame 60 on my timeline. There’s already a keyframe there (that doesn’t show in the velocity window). I right-click and choose Add Keyframe again. No change.

I went into Element > Peg > Add Keyframe also. No change.

According to the instructions, keyframes look different on the timeline depending on whether they are motion, scale, or rotation. (No mention of velocity there.) My current keyframes are motion ones.

maddogmike,
Velocity is referring to the rate of change between images, which means in this case the spacing between your inbetween images. There is no such thing as a velocity keyframe. There is a velocity function curve that defines the rate of change spacing between a pair of motion keys, or between a pair of scale keys or a pair of rotation keys etc. The velocity curve is linear,equal rate of change between each image, by default for any non-constant segment. So all you have to do is reshape the curve for the specific segment you are trying to adjust for the type of keys you want. Put the red timeline frame slider on the starting key’s frame for the segment you want to adjust. Select the object that you have keyframed with the scene planning tool that addresses the type of key you want. For example if you want to address a motion key segment you use the motion tool, or if you want to address a scale key segment you use the scale tool. You have to have the appropriate specific scene planning tool selected when you want to work on a specific type of keyed value. Also, if you want to see the effect of your velocity curve changes on a motion path use side view or top view and zoom in on the railroad track of the motion path and watch the tick marks spacing change when you change the velocity curve. It will look a lot like adjusting a traditional timing diagram. You can see the tick marks bunch up or spread out as you adjust the velocity curve. Here is an example of what the rail tracks look like with different velocity functions applied to two different motion key segments . If you need additional help just ask. -JK

Thanks for your help. I pretty much understood that, as it is similar to the functions are split up in After Effects.

Ultimately, I cleared out my existing keyframes and started over. This time, they showed up fine in the velocity window! So I’ll never know what was wrong to begin with: either a glitch or operator error.

I should be happy I found the solution, but I feel like I’ve wasted a day. Oh well, thanks everyone!

I’m glad that you worked it out. I appreciate your feeling of lost time, but I think as you reflect on it, that learning something is never really a bad investment of your time. Plus your experiences and this thread has and will help others, so thanks.

As to your keyframe problem, we will probably never know exactly what happened but I suspect that you thought that you were setting certain types of keyframes when in fact that you weren’t. The scene planning tools are powerful in their specific control but also a source of confusion and inadvertent actions. What I mean by that is that it is easy in the “heat” of the creative moment to switch tools and not realize that you have done so. I would like to see a more positive indicator of the selected tool but I’m not sure how that could be implemented. The transform tool and the select tool have slightly different appearances but are really easy to mistake. Perhaps a color coded indicator on the timeline top label bar to showed which tool, and therefore which attributes, were being addressed is a possible solution. I can tell you that the track keyfame indicators themselves are useful but not sufficient. So if you have a frame on a track where you are not completely sure that the desired key exists it is always OK to select the specifc tool for that type key and set a keyframe on that frame without actually changing anything. For example a position key and a motion key look identical on the indicators but they are in fact treated differently. I would also like to see the function editor modified to show which type of keyframed segment to which the velocity curve is being applied. Right now it is not totally clear when you look at a velocity function curve if it is being applied to a motion key segment or a scale key segment or what? A bit more positive feed back on these tools would be a nice future TBS enhancement. -JK