How to trace an image?

Hi everyone!

In Macromedia Flash its possible to import an image and trace its lines or to take the line tool and draw lines over the image lines, and then delete the image so that you have a drawing.

What i have tried so far is importing the image to the drawing view, but i cant choose any drawing tools since it is an image.

Can anyone tell me how to do it?

hi staale,
- either you open a new drawing element and rotoscope the image below (don’t forget to switch the light bulb on → an ‘L’ key or the light bulb icon)
- or you right-click on a frame in drawing element in the exposure sheet (not image element) and choose ‘import and vectorize’ from the menu. then your image gets editable (the quality goes down, though)
cheers,
rob

Ok, thanks. The first solution im not sure how to do, where do i find the rotoscope and light bulb?

The second one did not work very good, the quality goes down to much to see a single line almost.

ok,
the first one:
- you import an image into an image element.
- you create a drawing element (or use the existing one, which opens by default) and, provided the drawing is on top of the exposure sheet hierarchy and the light bulb is switched on, you draw. you see underneath your drawing your dimmed image as a background.

the second one:
try to experiment with the threshold settings for edges, while importing and vectorizing.
cheers,
rob

I got it. I just turned auto light table on. Thanks ;D

(Post removed by the author for obvious reasons) -JK

@staale
from the first posting i presume you want to get rid of the original as soon as the ‘rotoscoped’ version is ready, right?
or do you want to keep both layers to compose the whole picture?
cheers,
rob

Right now im using both layers to compose the whole picture as you said.

I dont understand the first one, please explain if that is easier?

it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

the one method is to use the light table feature to draw the outlines of some shapes in an existing image, then to work them out and throw the original away. this method keeps the animation export file small.

the other one is to combine both layers (the drawn one and the vectorized one) to compose a frame. this method requires the workout on both drawings (much more work) and a bigger file size. this may be good for any experimental animation, but not for the web or tv-production, where you must closely watch the deadlines.

as already stated before (jk), all this is a question of your task and of the concept to complete it.
we can only help you to avoid some tricky, time- or resource-consuming ways, but not to show you how you should approach your projects.

cheers,
rob

All i asked is how to do it, not how to complete it step by step method. And as i said in my last post i (I got it). So i dont understand why you keep posting, specally like JK did.

this was your last posting, without any reference whom you have mentioned.
i thought you referred to the first method i have listed.
if you meant jk, or captain kirk, then i’m sorry for disturbing :wink:
cheers,
rob

That’s just plain rude man! Staale, you aint got no manners!

You ask a question, get answers, and then get all rude if the post continues. As if you being bugged by them, when in fact it is you that bug them with your idiotic questions and your disappointing grammar. I mean, how can you not see the lightbulb icon?

Rob and JK and the other guys are just here to assist, so be appreciative.

I apologies if I am off topic and rude.
:slight_smile: