How To Set Background With Keyed Camera Capture

This may be a total newbie question, but I’m having a hard time getting the background to show up after I’ve imported frames with keying. My son and I are doing a Brick Film (LEGO), and I can only see the keyed LEGO character, and yet the background is white–not the picture of Mars we were hoping! I have the figurine the first layer and the Mars image in the second layer. If I turn on the Light Table, it works; however, when played, it just shows the figurine with the typical Grid as a background. I’ve set the image of Mars to BACKGROUND in image Properties, but that didn’t work either.

Any idea how I can make the background truly Mars?

Are you in the drawing view or the camera view? The drawing view will only show the current layer, so that you can just work on the animation for that layer. If you switch to the camera view, then you should be able to see the full scene for planning.

If this is not the problem, then tell me, do you see a white background when you do an actual render, or only when you’re working in the software?

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

In the Camera View, it’s beautiful! :wink:
However, it would be great if I didn’t highlight a layer it would reveal all layers, without having to open up a new window.

So, as a newbie–let me get this straight–the camera view is what I’m getting?

Thanks so much for helping me out! You’re awesome!

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “if I ddin’t highlight a layer it would reveal all layers” - do you not see all the layers when you’re in the camera view? Or are you talking about the drawing view again?

The way that it’s intended to work is that when you’re working on a drawing, you can work in the drawing view. At this time, if you want to see other layers, you can turn on the light-table feature (L) and, like a real-life animation lighttable, it will show a wash of the other drawings underneath. This simulates putting multiple pieces of paper on top of each other then shining a light behind them.

When you want to lay out your whole scene, and put the elements together, then it’s time to move on to the Camera view. Here is where you’ll position your elements and animate them over time.

Does that help a little?

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

Got it! Thank you very much! It’s been a very slow process, but I’m getting it!

God bless you!