how to make images(not drawings) go behind drawings?

i cannot figure out how to take imported images and have those display BEHIND my drawings.

i am using tb 3.x right now, because 4.x brush and pencil does not work with my tablet. however, i can’t figure it out in tb 4.x either :slight_smile:

when i create a new IMAGE element in the exposure sheet(or timeline), and then click on a cell > import images > import images, the resulting imported image ends up stretching and taking up full screen. from this point forward i am unable to edit or modify it. in tb4.0 i can resize and such, but cant seem to figure out how to make images appear BEHIND drawings … currently the IMAGES always stay in FRONT view of any other element.

anyone know why? thanks in advance.

eric

update - just figured out how to rotate/edit the images. but still cant figure out how to make them go to back of drawings.

You may find your solution in these articles below :

ELEMENTS

LAYERING ELEMENTS

Hope this helps you -JK

thanks JK for the useful links. a few of my issues have been figured out, but some basic problems still remain.

i am trying to do a very simple animation using 2 images. one 800x600 image for a background, and a 50x50 image in the foreground for the purposes of a little sprite animation. seemingly a simple process, but for whatever reason(s) i am having great difficulty, let me explain:

for starters, when i create a new image element, and then right-click on the first cell, and select import image, when it imports it, the image is stretched to maximum view in both camera and drawing view. how can this image be imported and displayed in it’s proper size?

There are several possibilities which exist depending on the version of TBS you are using. V 4.0 handles images more flexibly and makes this much easier. In V3.5 you would need to prepare the image in a program such as Photoshop, prior to importing it, to have a transparent background if you wanted to layer it in front of another image. In version 4.0 you could do that as well or you could import the image as a drawing element import and vectorize with texture command and mask the image inside a vector box.

See the article linked below to better understand the new import vectorize with texture functionality. -JK

Intro To Photo Cut-out Animation Part 3

for starters, when i create a new image element, and then right-click on the first cell, and select import image, when it imports it, the image is stretched to maximum view in both camera and drawing view. how can this image be imported and displayed in it’s proper size?

I just tried this (in TBS 4) with an 800 x 600 jpg image, set as background in properties, and positioned to the far right, bottom of column in the elements exposure sheet, then set the background image to be ‘extended’ throughout a range of cells.

Then I imported a new 50x50 image element, and as you described, it fills the entire TBS view.

So, I went to Camera View - where the Scene Planning Tools would be active, selected the 50x50 image first, then used the Scale tool to reduce it in size.

I could then see my 50x50 image ‘over’ my background jpg image.

Oh, but I did have a white background around my 50x50 jpg image - save as a .png to preserve transparency.