How to keep Toon Boon from crashing?

Has anyone know how to keep Toon Boon from crashing? It seems that if you max out the computers memory, Toon Boom crashes.

Currently I’m using Toon Boom 2.5 Express. I have the preferences to use max memory, that helps a little. But if I import a 1000 pictures the program quits. No errors just gone. Is all the versions of the program this unstable?

Dale

Hi Dale,

Sorry for the inconvenience this is a known issue with bitmap.

This problem is due to the fact that when you have a bitmap on the timeline it is automatically load the bitmap in the memory of your system. The software might crash at different time depending on your memory usage but here is a workaround. Make multiple scenes, that way the software won’t have to load more then a certain amount of bitmap in the memory and that should prevent the problem from happenning.

We are deeply sorry about the inconvenience and will try to solve this issue as soon as we can.

Best regards,

Ugo

Is this problem with just the bitmap format or all pictures?

Dale

Hi Dale,

By bitmap I usually mean any pixel made images (opposed to vector drawings). Although, the lighter your picture will be the more you will be able to put in a single scene.

Hope this cleared things up for you.

Best regards,

Ugo

I have been doing some testing. Toon boom will crash with other formats. Bitmap is a real memory hog, the other formats will allow me to put in more pictures. I’m not using any vector images with Toon boom only raster.

I really don’t do any 2d animation only 3D. I using Toon boom as compositor, importing sequenced images with alpha maps. I use 5 to 8 different images in the exposure sheet. Then in screen planing mode resize them and apply the pegs. I use Bryce, Vue 5I, Carrara Pro, Poser to generate the images, taking the best out of each program and combing them.

Does all the versions run into the memory issue? If I up grade to studio or solo will that help?

Dale

Hi Dale,

The problem with the bitmap and performance is mainly seen in Toon Boom Studio. I would strongly advise you to go to Solo if you plan on doing some compositing especially since there are special effects module in Solo that can be of much use to you. If you want more information about the feature and the use Solo could have for you make sure to contact our sales department at sales@toonboom.com.

Best regards,

Ugo