How to connect drawing to motion path

I’ve been experimenting with motion paths, and am wondering how to get my drawing to sit right on top of the motion path that I make. If I make the drawing first and position it where I want it to be in frame 1, then create the motion path, the drawing will follow the path at an offset, because the motion path always starts in the middle of the screen no matter where the drawing is. It’s hard to figure out where the drawing will go when it’s separate from the path, and so it often ends up offscreen. If I put the drawing right in the middle of the camera view, then make the motion path, they will be connected, but there’s obviously a lot I don’t understand here!

I’m not totally sure what your steps in this have been, but it sounds from your write up that you are positioning your object in scene planning (camera view) before you are trying to animate it on a motion peg. If so you can use View > Pegs > Show Peg Ghosts to deal with visualizing the offset between the object and the peg.

In general if you don’t pre-position your object before attaching to the peg this won’t occur. Then once you attach to the peg and select the motion tool you can drag the start of the motion path (triangle pointing left to right) with your object to your desired location and they will stay together. Then drag the end of the motion (triangle pointing right to left) to where you want the motion to end which stretches out the path. -JK

Well, that makes sense - thanks, I’ll try it! I was following a mini-tutorial on another thread in this forum that recommended drawing the object first, then pegging it.

jk, he’s right.
as soon as one attaches a drawing element to the peg (even afterwards), the peg’s motion path snaps to the middle of the drawing. one can see it in the side and top views.

sorry, i don’t know the workaround.
cheers,
rob

update:
btw, jk, where do you see the red triangles? i haven’t seen them since the version v2. now i see only circles along the path ::slight_smile:
do i miss anything?
-r-

If you are laying things out in drawing view instead of drawing in the center of your grid paper and laying out in camera view then peg ghosts are your best bet to follow the motion path.

When you select the motion tool with a peg selected you will see a square with two triangle (arrows) one on each side of the square. These are the indicators of the first and last frame of the peg. You can grab each of them and move them to any location. They are visible once you select the motion tool which enables the setting of motion key frames. They are redish brown in color. -JK

edit: ok, it was only a select, not a motion. sorry for the mess.

but the keyframe on the peg sticks to a fixed point on a drawing nevertheless. it looks like the middle point of a drawn object(s).

when one clicks on any frame in the timeline, the drawing element jumps on the peg and the above mentioned point sticks to that frame on the peg (to be seen in the top or side views)…
cheers,
rob

I have no idea what you are rambling on about, Rob, but if it makes sense to you than OK :)-JK

yes, it makes sense to me :slight_smile:

the point is:
1. the peg starts not in the middle of the screen, but in the middle of the graphic objects in the drawing element.

2. there is no offset to this position.

3. the remaining information matches the already mentioned one.
cheers,
rob

Hi Guys,

you got it right rattlebrain.

I’m not sure I understand all the replies on this post but let me explain the behavior of the pegs in the camera view.

By default when you add a peg it is centered in the camera view (the red circle represents the current frame of the peg and should be centered).

When you attach drawing element to a peg, the center of the grid of this element (represented in the drawing view) will be attach to the center of this red circle.

Basically, if you want the motion path to be in the center of your drawing element in the camera view, position your drawing object on the center of the grid in the drawing view.

You can experiment with this concept in the camera view, select a drawing element in the timeline, then a drawing tool and turn on the grid. If the selected element is attach to peg that as been moved, the grid won’t be centered anymore.

This is a great way to touch up drawings in the camera view.

cheers,