How to beat the auto-lip sync degradation problem

Anyone who’s tried to use the auto-lip sync in a project longer than about 2 minutes has witnessed how badly the lip sync falls out of sync. By the end of a 10 minute animation, the lips don’t correspond to the audio in any discernible way.

Well, all that’s happening is the lip syncing is gradually running ahead of the audio. You can get around this by using a “dummy audio” layer running slightly slower than full speed… 0.9974 x full speed, to be precise!

You need some kind of software that can slow down an audio file to 0.9974 x its normal speed. I used a program my friend wrote, but there must be other ones out there. We’ll call this slowed-down version the dummy file. Don’t replace the original, full-speed version!

→ Make sure you’re working with wav files, not mp3s.

Basically, you import both the full-speed file and the dummy file into your project. You use the dummy file for applying audo-lip sync, but you can leave it on mute. Basically, the dummy file is ONLY for auto-lip sync. For playback in Animate, scrubbing around the timeline, timing your drawings, exporting the final movie and everything else, you use the normal full-speed file.

it works! I discovered the magic number by trial-and-error. My friend thought up the solution.

thanks for the tip

steve

hi David,

just wondering which procedure you followed to do the lip-sync as there should be no discrepancy between the sound and the corresponding images…

did you have the out of sync issue when rendering out or while playing back in the program and was the sound scrubbing on?

if this type of lip-sync /audio discrepancy occurs to anyone, it should probably be reported to support@toonboom.com for direct testing and resolution.