How do I?

What tools do I use in the GUI to peg a drawing for animation. I have watched the videos. I don’t know how to disect the toon into different parts. this is so frustrating. I cant beleive there are no step by step “dummy” instructions. when i bought the program i clicked on the 400 page manual to buy. But there is nothing. I am a photographer and artist. Not a computer guy. I spent all this money on this and cant to sheet but draw everything frame by frame. Thats not going to cut it.
Please for the love of god write a manual for EVERYTHING this program can do.
So many Ideas and no way to get them out.

Hi Hazard,

There is no actual tool to peg a drawing. It needs to be done in the Timeline and the tools have no effect there. To peg it what you need to do is create a peg element and then select your drawing element and drag it on the peg. This will attach it to the peg.

Best regards,

Ugo

Asked and answered HERE previously.

Some forum usage suggestions for everyone to consider:

Try to start and continue related questions in a single thread using the reply function as opposed to starting a new thread for every post. Most of us follow the various threads in all forum sections and we don’t need multiple posts to get our attention and they just produce clutter and confusion. Also it is beneficial to all for you to use descriptive subjects as opposed to general or non-specific subjects. “I need help!” or “What do I do?” ect. are not useful subjects. Things like “Need Help With Pegs” or “How Do You Create Cut Out Characters” are much better subject titles. Remember that the forums are a community collaboration and that by using good subjects and encapsulating posts in fewer threads it is more helpful and beneficial to the rest of the community who reads and learns from these discussions. (I am not the forums moderator so this is just one members opinion) -JK

Ouch,
I don’t mean to upset. As sure as i know you dont mean any harm either. You have been a great help to me.
I am a total simpleton when it comes to this subject of animation. I didn’t understand or apprieciate the tech know how it takes.
But I am learning little by little.
I am a 29 yr old that runs a restaurant for a national chain. I have also studied and began to teach Kung Fu over the past ten years.
But this way of thinking, is new to me. So i ask a direct question for the answer i need.

Haha! Another restaurant manager turned animator! Lol I feel your pain :slight_smile:

Just to reiterate what JK said, don’t worry about asking questions, that’s often the best way to learn, just try to be as descriptive as possible both when asking them & when making the titles for your threads. It will ultimately “help us help you.”

Also, while you will surely have your own questions arise, keep in mind that many of the basic questions have been asked many times over by others, so it would probably do you good to do some searching & reading on the forums. More often than not you may find your answers in someone else’s thread. If you don’t then by all means fire away, there are always plenty of people here willing to help. :slight_smile:
Cheers

Please don’t take the suggestions I posted personally, they were not aimed at you specifically or anyone else personally or specifically, I just offered them to all the new users who are posting here on the forums in general.

How people phrase their questions is not significant although completeness and clarity is always appreciated. The truth is that most times the person asking for help is so close to the problem or issue they are having that they forget that the rest of us aren’t looking over their shoulder and therefore need certain facts to even know where to begin helping.

The points I was trying to communicate are that descriptive titles help future readers scanning the forums to find topics that they are interested in reading, while non-descriptive titles are less informative and therefore not as valuable. Secondly the fewer new threads and the more multi-post continuous dialog type threads the less the forums get cluttered and again the more information gets collected in a more usable form. This helps everyone, particularly new readers joining in the forums.

I was actually reacting to the fact that Ugo was wasting his valuable time answering a question that I had already answered because he was unaware that the questioner had asked basically the same question in several threads. I end up doing the same thing as do others because we process questions sequentially and don’t always realize they were asked elsewhere.

I’m not a big proponent of the “don’t ask questions until you thoroughly have searched the forums” approach. If you or anyone else has a question or need help just ask. There are no dumb questions and there are no “that’s been asked a million times before, so don’t ask it again” type questions. The whole purpose of having these forums is to exchange information and help each other get more from Toon Boom Studio.

So my position is ask any questions that you want answered and ask as many and as often as you need to ask. My only goal in posting that suggestion was to say that “there are ways to post that help others as well as the person posting, and since I spend an inordinate amount of my personal time helping others here in the forums and in my blogs and the Wiki, I like to see us all get the most value for the time and effort invested.” Obviously I enjoy helping people or I wouldn’t do it, so the last thing I would ever intentionally do is tell anyone not to ask for help. Don’t let learning to animate intimidate you, and don’t let the complexity of learning to use new software intimidate you. My only suggestion to you or anyone else just starting out is to start with the most basic fundamental aspects of both animating and the software and work your way up from there. -JK