Horrible coloring issue - any suggestions?

Hi there,

I’ll explain what i want to do with this example: I want to be able to drag a character into my scene from the library, twice. For the second character i want to change the color of the helmet and pants with 1 click per color without affecting the colors of the first character in the scene.

Currently i would have to duplicate the palette, go through every single colored area, ungroup, delete the filled area, change all the lines to the new line color and then finally color in every deleted area again.

This sounds like hours and hours of useless time waste to me, but i couldn’t find any other way to do it. Is there a better way?

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S.: Please read carefully before suggesting alternatives.

I am interesting in hearing if this is an option, it would definitely make things easier to be able to somehow clone a pallete but keep it linked to a specific character.

If you are just changing small things like the shirt colour but keeping main colours such as line or skin then just add the new colours to the pallette called “shirt 2, etc” and repaint the art accordingly… if there are alot of changes you are better off creating an entirely new pallete… as annoying as it is to have to repaint it is still better than redrawing everything and/or building an entirely new character.

In Harmony we get around this by using element palletes as opposed to Scene palettes… trouble is you have to manually add the palettes to each element.

Lilly,

First al of: thanks for your reply!

So for a rigged character i have to connect all 50 drawings to a color override or can i just connect it to the master peg or something?

Also, are there plans to fix this issue in the future by, for example, allowing the user to choose if a cloned palette affects all color area’s of the original?

Thanks so far Lilly, but could you reply on my question about future plans?

Thanks

It doesn’t already do it (properly). We would like to be able to change it with 1 click so we can give a duplicated object new colors without affecting the original drawings.

Anyway, i’m trying to connect the composite to the color-override, but then it still only overrides the first drawing. So unless i’m doing something wrong, it isn’t even possible for a hierarchy rig?

Wow it’s actually working perfectly now (although still one missleading icon from the color-override module on only the first drawing in the hierarchy)! I only have to rename the palette, save it as a new template and it’s working already. Now i can finally create templates the way it’s supposed to be! Though, it’s still unfortionate how unnecessarily compilated some features are.

Thanks a lot Lilly, this is by far the best support i’ve ever had in a company anywhere in the world! I hope you’re getting paid by Toon Boom because you certainly deserve to!

P.S.: Are you the instructor from the Animate tutorials? :slight_smile:

I actually have a new problem now:

If i have a composite module (that is connected to a color override module) connected to the main composite module, my views get completely messed up when i rotate or something. It looks like some drawings are randomly distrubuted on some layers and colors are replaced or something weird.

I’m not great with the understanding of these modules yet, am i doing something wrong?

When it happens again i will post some screenshots. It has to do with colors (or overrides) and/or the composite module for sure, but don’t know what exactly.

Thanks again

You can do this using the Colour Override module. If you create a cloned palette, then in your Colour Override module you can drag and drop the cloned palette into the Palette Override section, then this palette will be used for whatever drawings are connected to your Colour Override.

~Lilly

Are you working with Animate Pro or Harmony?

If yes, then you just connect the character’s composite module to the Colour Override.

If you’re using Animate, then you drag and drop the master peg of the character onto the Colour Override and I think it’ll work.

~Lilly

I didn’t answer that question because it already does it… If you connect the character’s composite to the Colour Override module, and apply a palette override, then it overrides all the colours of your character with the new palette.

~Lilly

It is possible to connect a hierarchy to the colour override. Here I did a quick video to show. I’ve got a character group, and inside the group is a hierarchy connected to a composite module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMdGu7lzt4

~Lilly

Haha thanks for the kind words! I’m actually the Product Manager here, responsible for Professional Products - Animate family, Harmony, and Storyboard family.

The one who does the video tutorials is Shabana, though you might find the occasional video on our YouTube site with me on it.

I’m glad it’s working!

~Lilly

I’m not sure if I’m understanding the problem exactly. Do you have some layers that are animated in z-depth and they’re popping out of place, perhaps? You might want to try switching your character composite’s Layer Properties (yellow options box) to Pass Through. When it’s set to As Bitmap, it flattens the vector layers down to one bitmap layer. If you set it to Pass Through, then it just gathers together the vector layers without flattening them.

If this doesn’t solve the issue, when you rotate the layers, does the problem show up only in OpenGL view, or in render view as well? Do you see the problem in the Camera view or in the Perspective view? Can you attach a couple of screenshots? You can upload the screenshots to a free site like Photobucket then post the link here.

~Lilly