HELP

Hi ppl!
i am new user of TBS, i would like to know what are the best Tablet to use with toon boom???
and what are their names and reference so i can order them.
THANKS A LOT GUYS
Remamber: lets keep animating…!!! :slight_smile:

i’ve seen your post, no need to hurry me through other channels :wink:
as you probably know (or maybe not yet), i’m a purist, working with minimal tools.
my tablet is an old wacom ud-0608 and it works well with me.
this is a a5 format.

i dunno what your needs are, but you’ll have to choose your preferred format, either a4 or a5, or a6.
as for the model, i would say wacom intuos2 or intuos3 (better and newer).
if you have much more money, go for cintiq (some $1,500, afaik).
if you have lots of money, try a tablet-pc.
cheers,
rob

A Wacom Intous 6x8 works well or you might prefer the newest size which is wider screen dimensions. (I can’t remember the exact dimensions) But a 6x8 is a comfortable drawing size. Using a Cintiq is the ultimate. Tablet PCs are nice but be sure you check the Wacom site to find which Tablets use and support Wacom. Gateway doesn’t and gives inferior results for example. Also don’t fall prey to the temptation to buy a non Wacom or even a graphire. There is a significant difference in performance in tablets and the Intous tablets are superior as well as costing more but worth the investment. Tablets last a long time and unlike other hardware you will tend to switch computers long before you need or want to abandon your tablet or Cintiq.-JK

First I had a graphire …and it worked well only I could never get use to the slick feeling between the tablet and pen. I literally had to use the tablet with a paper over it to give me a better feel. Then I got the Intuos3 …great tablet, and this I would recommend for anyone opting for a tablet. The only other thing out there that may be worth a look is the new graphires thats cord-less.

As far as the Tablet PC goes I now own a Gateway (CX200sx)…it took me about 3 months to research and get comfortable making this purchase. If you opt for this …know this up front …no tablet machine to-date can match the responsiveness of the Wacom tablet. There will be a slight lag between the inking and your pen stroke on the screen. When I talked to Toshiba (the standard out there) they actually admit this … and also told me the lag also varies with the application. In addition you’ll incur a parralax issue where the cursur does not exactly line up with the tip of the pen on the screen …depending on the angle. I thoroughly tested TBS on 2 tablet PC’s …Toshiba and GW before buying.

I saw no noticeable difference except. a few months ago both machines used the WACOM technology. Recently GW moved to a new vendor’s technology …fine-point. And the big issue with this new technology is that it does not support the pressure sensitivity feature …at least not yet. Many GW/photo-shop users have made this issue known to the vendor…and soon they’ll provide software update to fix this. But that does not bother me …cause I never use the brush tool where I’ll need this feature. And so far the GW works well with TBS … all the problems I’ve had with TBS on this machine …are the same problems I had with my WACOM tablet + Desktop set-up.

I wish …I wish I had the money to get what is the crem-de-le-crem in the business …the CintiQ . But I have never seen a post from anyone owning this machine on TBS …I have never seen the machine myself. What I gather is that most people using TBS …who come to this board …are causual TBS users who don’t animate for a living…and see buying a CINTI-Q cost phrohibitive.

If you decide to buy a CINTI-Q … make sure that the extra cost + the fact that you can’t browse the internet, read your e-mail, write a word document etc … is justified by the the functionality of this machine. You can do all this with a Tablet PC … and if you don’t like the pen feature of the tablet PC …you can always get a WACOM tablet to use with it …it will work just the same as your desk-top.

Great post and very informative but unfortunately you made a few inaccurate statements toward the end concerning the Cintiq. Before I address those though I have to tell you that not using pressure sensitivity is a huge sacrifice and particularly since TBS allows such good control of this feature through pen definitions.

OK, now to the Cintiq. It is difficult to describe the difference between using a Cintiq and using an Intous. We use both in our studio and even use both on some of our machines that have dual display set ups. I’m not sure where you got your information but you can do every thing on a Cintiq that you can do on any traditional display and a whole lot more. Perhaps you are thinking in terms of using Windows pen edition, which we don’t use.

Drawing and painting on a Cintiq is amazing. There are times when I completely forget that it isn’t paper and that isn’t really ink and paint. The feeling is so natural. And TBS is a joy to draw and paint in with a Cintiq. And it works so much like a real animation disc that when we use TBS in full screen mode it is like working on one of our traditional discs. They are not practical for most people unless you are a working graphics / animation professional, but there is no tablet PC out there that is even close, although Toshiba has a new dual-core tablet PC they claim is much imporved in responsiveness over their earlier versions, the problem is it costs more than the Cintiq. So unless you need the portability of a lap top, that is not a great alternative. So in answer to your question there are people who use TBS and who do have and use Cintiqs. -JK

Most people I know relish this feature (Pen sensitivity) …however in my case I especially don’t want it. And have never used the brush even when I was on my desktop unless I was experimenting and didn’t care what I used because I didn’t plan to save the work anyway. It has to do with my style of animation …but I can appreciate that many would be lost without it.

I have never seen a Cintiq before … so I cannot vouch for its abilities. But portability was important when I was shopping for a tablet. In fact I just wanted to take my desktop (or come close) with me on the road so I needed to be able to run MS -office on it …to check my e-mail, pay my bills etc. As far as I know the Cintiq is basically just a drawing tool. So I think its more appealing to those actually in the business with a shop, office etc. I would encourage anybody with the cash and more than a casual interest in animation to at least check it out. In fact …I may end up buying one some day, (hopefully) the price will drop by then.
I said the Cintiq is regarded as the crem-de-le-crem in the business …I read negative post about it on one blog site I visited but I think the reader was into photo-shop stuff so I didn’t pay much attention to it.

The GW fit my budget and met the needs I wanted and so far I have no regrets. And your correct …the Toshibas might have been a better buy…primarily because of the WACOM compatibility …but it was just too expensive for me. You don’t want to buy a Tablet PC with animation intentions with one of those lame integrated video cards for example.
And by the time you start adding the necessary upgrades …you may as well start looking at the Cintiq!

I have just couple questions about the CINTiQ … the lag and paralax issues I talk about with the tablet PC …do you experience this with the CintiQ? Is this machine as responsive as the Intous tablets?

I can tell you that as far as the natural feel is concerned the Tablet machines (just about all of them) feels more natural than the any of the WACOM tablets.
I wonder if you could say that the CintiQ feels even more natural that the tablets?

there is a thread about it somewhere here.
as far as i can recall the only subjective objection was the thickness of the glass plate which made the direct feeling of the stroke a bit dimmed.
cheers,
rob

The feel is very natural and with adjustment it is paper like. And as to any offset between the pen and the line that is user calebrated in the Wacom software and there is none once you adjust your settings during installation. There is no lag. I’m not advising people to go out and buy a Cintiq. That like any other decision is personal. I was just reporting information from a very satisfied user’s perspective. The Cintiq and the Intous 3 are very similar and use the same pen. Which is great in a dual display set up. The Cintiq feels more natural and of course it should because you are now drawing normally instead of indirectly as with a graphics tablet. Toon Boom Studio is outstanding software and continues to get better with every new release. We are pleased that it works so beautifully with the Cintiq. Certainly not a minimalist set up, and only advisable for professionals who can afford and justify such a combination.

Sharing information and first hand experiences hopefully help other people evaluate and make choices. Those choices though are theirs to make based on their situation, needs and desires. -JK

thanks to all of u in this forum.
u helped m solve my doubt.
cheers :smiley: