Help? Why would you use drawing elements as pegs?

HI,
I know there are many ways to rig characters. Some people use symbols, some a simple chain of drawing elements. I have used parented peg structures (with the drawing elements disabled for animation ) heirarchies, needed a refresher, so watched the online tutorial again. Why are drawing layers being used as pegs? It seems like a big extra step…can’t you just have a master, top down chain. I hope that makes sense. I will teach my kids this way, but want to understand what the advantages are. Also, I can’t quite tell on the screen how the cabling works. Take a thigh/calf/foot chain…would one drawing element layer be named leg_peg, with cables running to the three individual peg modules? Or would there still be peg parenting happening on the individual parts. Ack, hope that made sense.
Thanks!

Hi Meridith, This would be better posted in the Harmony or Animate forum.

Think of the pegs as being the “bones” or structure of the rigged puppet.
When you string them together in a parent-child relationship it is to pass
on positioning info from parent to child (i.e. if you rotate the upper-arm, you
naturally want the lower-arm and hand to follow.). Some rigs can become very
complex if the character has an alternate set of clothes built-in or props that can be hidden/shown.

The best thing is to look at a variety of rigging styles to get an idea of the available rigging toolbox. For example, many advanced animator don’t even rig their puppets in a hierarchy (i.e. open-rig) because they feel it gives them greater freedom to animate if they place each body part individually.