Help me find some tutorials

Hello I am new using Toon Boom Studio, I work in animation about 2 years but i always used flash.
But now I dediced to use a more professional tool and I am a little lost with the software itself(mostly because I use almost all adobe programs and they are all the same in options).

I would like to know if you can pass me some basic tutorials ^^.

I also would like to know if theres a way of doing a continuos action(like in flash), when you put a keyframe for example in the frame 1 and you put another frame in frame 20 and then you will have frame since the frame 1 to the 20 and you can do like the “Tweening”? (hope that you understand this question)

Sorry if there’s any errors

Thanks for the help,
Ein_Lawliet

First off, welcome to the forums. I’ll begin by answering your tweening question and then I’ll point you to one source of tutorials that I think will help you make the transition from Flash to TBS.

In TBS terminology, tweening is described in terms of frame segments. Simply put, the in between frames that occur between two boundary key frames, of the same type, are referred to as a frame segment. Tweening is the application of an interpolation engine which uses a mathematical formula to calculate rate and degree of change between a starting and ending value (your boundary key frames).

In Flash to activate tweening you set a parameter to apply tweening. Essentially in TBS you do the same thing but it’s not called tweening is is called a “non-constant” segment. If you don’t want interpolated values calculated between your boundary key frames you set the in between segment frames to “constant”. Thus the value of the keyframes is held constant.

If you want interpolated values calculated for each in between frame in your connecting frame segment, then you set the segment to “non-constant” which means each frame value for the keyed value will not be held constant but rather allowed to change based on the interpolation formula that has been set for that segment.

Interpolation formulas are controlled by the curves managed thru the Function Editor. By default the applied formula for any frame segment for any keyed parameter is “balanced” which means the rate and degree of change will be applied equally for each frame.

You can set up your TBS application to either by default set all segments “Non-Constant” or “Constant”. (I prefer mine set to “constant” but that’s a personal preference) Go to the menu command for Preferences to open the Preference dialog, then select the ScenePlanning tab and in the lower left hand corner either “check” or “un-check” the box for CREATE CONSTANT KEYFRAMES.

In normal animating you just select the starting key frame for a segment on the appropriate time line track, right click to open the context menu and select SET CONSTANT SEGMENT or SET NON-CONSTANT SEGMENT. There are also assigned “Hot Keys” for each command.

Here is a tutorial that will help you get comfortable with basic tweening in TBS:
KEYFRAMING THE BOUNCING BALL

In answer to your primary question about a source of learning articles and tutorials, go to the page on the Cartooning In Toon Boon blog THE LEARNING TRACK.

I suggest you start with the Fundamental Concepts section and particularly with the two tutorials call Basics Part 1 and Basics Part 2. I call them “the light bulbs” turn on tutorials because they put the fundamental TBS animation metaphor into clear perspective. Enjoy the blog, I created it specifically to help users just like you. -JK

Thank you very much for the help ^^

I read everything, but I have to read a few more times what you said. I am not english so… xD

I think that i understood everything and I will try to do the tutorials as well, because i think thats a great difference between flash and TBS. It feels that I am learning animation again xD

I hope that i get used to TBS fast, i really want to go study animation in university ^^