Help Deciding on New MAC!

H there,
So I’m looking for input from animators with field work experience. I am currently working with TB software and am producing my own short both for the sake of my portfolio and for the possibility of creating a serial show of my own. My current MacBook simply can’t handle the workload I am throwing at it, and it’s about time for a new computer.

The options I’ve chosen (needing to stick with Mac) are the choices listed above, and here in detail:
Mac Minihttp://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC816LL-Desktop-NEWEST-VERSION/dp/B004YLCN1U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323223802&sr=1-2
MacBook Prohttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CWJ3MM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02SXMPP9S1SNFQTYYCTC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
iMachttp://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC814LL-27-Inch-Desktop-VERSION/dp/B004YLCE2S/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323223829&sr=1-4

My reason for needing your opinion is this; I am looking to apply for work in the winter/spring, which may require the need to move. If this is the case, I am in the dark about whether it’s best to stick with being mobile (macbook pro), power desktop (iMac) or economically-minded (mac mini).
So ultimately my question to pros out there is; Do I need mobility as an animator searching the market? Is it wise to stick with being mobile, or better to keep money in the bank or more power on the desk?
Thanks so much for any advice!

Regarding, you’re well on the way becoming a professional animator…
Then you should use the most powerful system you can afford…

Creating animation still involves lots of work and hours of concentration…
I wouldn’t be able to do that properly (I have tried with my 17” MacBook Pro),
sitting on park-benches, or in coffee-houses, even at home, the screen is to small…
To draw properly, one has to carry a Wacom-board as well, to cumbersome…

Instead, I am using an iPad for drawing, sketching, note-taking wherever I go…
In combination with the Bamboo Stylus for iPad, this works just marvelous…

The MacBook Pro, I am using in “Clamshell-Mode” connected to an 27” Cinema Display,
a Keyboard, a Wacom Intuos, and an 800 FireWire external Hard-Drive (G-Drive Q)…
Even with this setup, the MacBook Pro can be easily disconnected and taken away…
Have done so only a few times over the last couple of years…

Today, my personal choice would be the 27” iMac with at least 8GB of RAM, better 16GB…
The AMD Radeon HD 6970 with 2GB of GDDR5…
Very soon, more and more applications will utilize the Graphic-Cards GPU…

A Wacom Intuos, at least Medium, better Large would be highly recommended…

Working with HD, an external 7200 rpm 800 FireWire Hard-Drive would be advisable…
Or better, use one of the new Thunderbolt 7200 rpm Hard-Drives…

Be aware, everything said above is purely my personal opinion…

Regards
Nolan

I agree on the big screen, however you can get a macbook and plug it into a big screen!

Don’t mean to derail but what ipad software do you use, I tried the toonboom one and no paint fill left me unforfilled.

Well, I am using the iPad like a sketchbook, drawing, doodling ideas, making notes…
My software of choice is Sketchbook Pro for iPad, works perfectly for me…
Later, I can transfer those sketches to my Desktop version to work them over…

Those bitmap-drawings are meant to be for Props, Objects or Overlays…
Even I still prefer to draw those directly in Animate…
Sometimes I use those iPad sketches as reference…

Haven’t tried any of the many Vector-Drawing-Applications yet… FlipBoom neither…
http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/vector-drawing

Regards
Nolan

Thanks for that, Nolan. And I know it’s subjective, but it really does help - especially not having actually “been out there” yet.

I should add to what I am currently using, though. I am using the Wacom Intuos, I believe it’s a medium. If I do purchase the upgraded video iMac, it would prevent me from upgrading that for a while, so I’d need to make do for the time being.
I DO have a 20’’ dell screen (a bit old, but works) at my disposal. I think ultimately your point about not needing the portability and the hassle of it (seems so logical now that I think of it) is important. And I love that idea for using an iPad w/ the stylus. I also have a Seagate 2TB USB 2.0 w/ upgradable dock to 3.0 for my TimeMachine backups.

So I’d say I’m already leaning toward the iMac. Btw, do you see any real reason to upgrade to Animate Pro in the next 6 months, or should I simply focus on the computer for now?

So I went with a refurbished iMac 27" 3.1 ghz i5 with the standard 1GB of VRAM on the AMD graphics chip - I almost sprang for the fully loaded version, but the price difference between the two was considerable, and right now I’m specifically working in TB, for which the AMD Radeon 6970m w/ 1gb should be fine. I do realize it’s not as “future-proof” as the higher end BTO options, but the money saved can go to moving costs if I get a job or toward a MacBook Pro when they overhaul them.

Thanks for the advice!

Congratulations to your new iMac, the Radeon 6970-1GB is an exceptional good card…

This Question, I guess, only you can answer…
Please check the comparison chart, if you already need those extra features today…
http://beta.toonboom.com/professionals/animating

Animate 2 is a hell of a marvelous software, I really enjoy working with it…
Upgrading to Pro is always on my mind, in particular when special cross-grade offers are available,
but at the moment, I am happy with what I have, but someday I might…
Maybe a special cross-grade from Animate to Harmony might be available some day…?

Have a good time with your new machine…

Regards
Nolan

Hey!! I just got the same iMac!! It’s HUGE!!

I was working with a 21" iMac and it looked fine next to my Cintiq 21", but now the Cintiq looks like something from the 80s! Not going to upgrade the device anytime soon, but it’s just funny to see them next to each other now.

Kris10