harmony9?

yes im very much in doubt if i should get it
from other topics i gather some info
like it works with maya 32b ,but is this for windows only?
cause i think theres only 64b for mac!
then its sayied that you can import .obj altough not visible option and if you move the texture into folder it displays it.is this confirmed?
on the 2d/3d integration withepaper theres 4 workflows
so please tell me,when i got the .obj or .osb mesh inside ,my options are just: 1- i have to roto the prop or
2-mount the render thing with maya?
doesnt it display as in storyboard3D?does it relly needs lights and maya?
thanks

I suppose you could render OpenGL frames, but you won’t have antialiasing or even your final model, it will be the proxy model

1-could you please confirm that the imported 3D mesh as well as displaying in the viewport, also does render in OpenGL,and appears in the exported .mov,with the texture assigned to it?
2-this mesh can be .obj also?
3-this is the roto workflow where you can draw and paint on an separate element to redefine this 3D mesh shape,but the base mesh displays all right?
4-then as in games,if the mesh has an high polycount ,it has to be replaced by one similar but with lower polycount.
so once defined an proper polycount for this workflow it displays his real own shape,right?
is this what you mean by proxy model(low poly,just color texture) and final model(high detail with color,spec,bump,lights,shading and so on) ?
5-resuming:this roto worflow(as in the whitepaper)also renders the 3D mesh and it appears on open GL render or it has to be totally replaced by rotoing it?
many thanks

thanks Lilly!

It does display like it does in Storyboard 3D, and you can also move, rotate, and scale the element, but you just need to render it through Maya. Or, if you don’t want a final render, with lights and shaders, then I suppose you could render OpenGL frames, but you won’t have antialiasing or even your final model, it will be the proxy model that’s imported into Harmony. In Storyboard 3D you always render OpenGL frames, because when Storyboarding it’s not necessary to have a final render, since it’s only an animatic, so you don’t run into the same issue.

~Lilly

When you import a 3D model into Harmony, it displays in OpenGL the model with baked on textures. It doesn’t show the full lighting and shaders, lighting and shaders can only be interpreted by a rendering engine. Think about it this way - it displays the same way it would display in your 3D software when you’re working in OpenGL. You don’t see the full render.

When you render OpenGL frames, it would render literally what you see in OpenGL. So you wouldn’t have full textures and shading. In order to have full textures and shading, you would need to set up a pipeline that talks to a rendering engine, like Maya or 3Delight.

You can import an OBJ, but if you want to see the textures, you need to manually copy and paste your texture files in, since OBJ is not a packaged file format.

If you want to rotoscope on top of a 3D element, usually you would create a 2D element and trace on top of the 3D element to get the right viewing angle. It would be a separate element, and you can hide your original 3D element when it comes time to render.

You would not actually replace the model with a higher poly-count model (although you could) you usually keep the poly count the same, but simply render the full model with lighting and textures through your original maya file. If you notice performance issues, you can import a lower poly model into the same drawing layer, and use your drawing substitution window to swap to the lower poly model, but in most cases this would not be necessary.

By proxy model, I mean that you’re not seeing the final model as rendered. In OpenGL it displays, as in your 3D software, with certain curves depending on your poly count. When you actually render it out, it renders it depending on the resolution of your scene. Also when you render, it will use the rendering engine specified to calculate your textures and lighting.

If you’re going the Roto route, usually you would disable the 3D layer and replace it with a 2D one.

~Lilly