Harmony for students (vs Animate)

The facility I work for has gotten Harmony Network. The keys are not here yet, but I and some of the students here eagerly anticipate getting the program running. I was wondering if Animate would have been a better choice for getting started in this world.

Both are great, but I have not had a chance to use either, although Animate seems like it would have been a better choice for us. HN seems more geared toward large scale productions, is that so? Do they both have similiar work flows, so the difference would be transparent at entry and intermediate levels?

I have harmony 10 stand alone and tried out animate pro 3 and they are about the same to learn on which I’m doing myself. Harmony has more features that may take more time to learn but the basics are the same. Download the animate pro 3 and start going through the tutorials and tips of the week great stuff.

Harmony is definitely the king, full of options, and effects, and the ability to bring in 3D models from Maya. That’s what sold me on it. But I got my start with ToonBoom years ago on the basic ToonBoom Studio program, which works great for 2D animation, lip sync, and working with a digital workflow similar to traditional animation. With expression sheets. In learning these tools, they are so unlike any other program out there, so it’s not like you can just dive in and figure them out, as you can do in some programs. There is no way to use these tools without first watching the many hours of step-by-step videos. Many are Animate Pro, and apply to Harmony for the most part.

Of course I’m biased, but I would always want to learn on the same software that I’m going to use when I go out in the world and work. The basic interface of Harmony is the same as Animate and Animate Pro, so you’re not really saving any time in teaching. You might not teach everything Harmony has to offer, but having it available means the students can go and self-teach, and experiment.

I have seen a lot of final projects done in Harmony where students really push the envelope. The line between student work and studio work is getting thinner and thinner.

-Lilly