Harmony 11 dual screen workspace

Hi and greetings from the Netherlands,

I am using Harmony11 and StoryboardPRO on a Macbook pro with two screens. I made a personal dual screen workspace, saved it and it works fine. However, every time I start the programs the all panels are on the screen of the macbook pro. The second screen is empty. choosing window, workspace and the workspace I created, does not solve the problem. All panels of the program stay on the main screen. So every time I open Harmony or storyboard i have to place all panels manually.

can anyone help me with this problem? Has this something to do with my computer or the screen settings?

Regards,

Stef Ringoot

archiviloria,

Are you also using a Macbook Pro?

I have been experimenting with the dual interface approach outlined above.

1. I was able to eliminate the gap between the top of the main interface and the operating system menu bar that would appear on the main display after reopening the software. I moved tool bars so that there was just a single row across the top while the rest were on the side of the Camera/Drawing window. I was just customizing the workspace to organize things the way I prefer and to get the most out of the screen space. It was an unexpected fluke that after doing this the space had vanished when reopening the program.

2. There is a problem with the software controlling windows open on the second display. I am not sure whether it is consistent or random. I think it is consistent with the Network window at least. I had the Network on the second display and could not get the Network toolbar to show. Usually a right-click on the top of the window frame produces a menu of the window name and Customize. This did not work. Another option is to access the trigger via WIndow => Toolbars: and selecting the desired window. But in this case the Network window was not listed. After trying several different things I was only able to produce a Network window with the toolbar by opening it through an open window on the main screen. Once I did that the Network window showed up in the list under Window.

However, I deleted the toolbarless window and replaced it with the one opened from the main display and resaved the Workspace. But when I closed the software down and reopened it the Network window was back to the toolbarless condition and it again was not listed under the Toolbars menu of Window.

So it seems that the software sometimes has a problem recognizing the windows open on the second display and it has trouble remembering at least one detail about the custom setup. I have only had this problem with the Network window. The other windows on the second display have the toolbar option in tact. Unfortunately the Network toolbar is important. I don’t know of any other way to have the modules spread out up or down (Order Network Up and Down). Is there more than one way to trigger this?

In the meantime, rather than swapping out the Network every time I use the software I am keeping another Network nested in one of the smaller editor windows that is on the main display. I use the buttons from that Network window and do all of the manual organizing in the larger Network window on the second display.

same problem here – mac pro, “main” working surface on cintiq 24hd, secondary screen has various other palettes. opening a new project document or relaunching harmony 11, all panels are condensed and repositioned on to cintiq display, and i have to move all floating palette panels again to 2nd display (many of which are hidden behind main working area, so i have to basically put together a puzzle every time i use the application). this has been a frustrating problem for years now, and i don’t know of any other software that i use that exhibits this issue. everything else remembers my multi-display panel arrangement (or at least makes an effort to do so!). really should be considered as a point-release-update fix. harmony is too expensive to let basic usability issues like this exist for so long.

Yes, I use a macbook pro with a 24" dell monitor attached to it.

But I just realized that if I have the main window in the second monitor and the floating panels in the main screen (that is how I use to work now) the problem disappears and everything is in its place whenever you open the program.

I learned from TB Support that Animate 3 and Animate Pro 3 do not support dual screen workspaces so you cannot save them properly. This, even though the TB tutorials mention that people typically use dual screens with TB software. Perhaps this lack of dual screen support is true of Harmony as well?

I didn’t have this problem in Animate pro 3 and I don’t have this problem Harmony 11. I have 2 screens: Imac 27 I7 + Cintiq 21 . Osx 10,9,4 Harmony 11.0.0

When I launch Harmony , I have always my workspace : the main windows on my Cintiq , and side, top, perspective, module library and network on the Imac .

Today TB Support confirmed dual screen workspaces are not supported in Harmony 11 either.

tempetestellair,

Which screen has the top menu bar of the OS and software?

I suspect the iMac is the primary display and the Cintiq the secondary.

I, like another member in this thread, am able to save a reversed workspace with the Camera/Drawing window on the secondary display and the palettes on the primary display and have it open consistently.

It would seem very easy to make an adjustment in the code to enable the other way around.

http://studioharfang.net/P1140964.JPG

je ne suis pas un menteur .J’ai ce que je dis, et plus.

Imac + cintiq 21 . 2 screens. + Mc transport ( avid) no problem …

With the operating system desktop behind the Toon Boom windows it looks like the primary display is the iMac not the Cintiq. This is what Archiviloria and I have acknowledged we are able to do as well. However, what is desired is to have the Camera/Drawing window on the primary display rather than the secondary display. This currently is not possible. You can do it manually but the software cannot remember the placement and the arrangement is scrambled when you reopen the software.

One main reason for preferring that the Camera/Drawing window be located on the primary display is for convenient access to the menu bar across the top of the screen. When you are accustomed to single screen you expect the main menu to be accessible at the top of the main screen. It feels very awkward having to go to the secondary display for certain items that are almost always found in the same place on a computer.

What really surprises me about your photo is that you are using the dark interface.

I’ve been waiting too long for a modern interface…Now that we have it, I’ve found out that it is absolutely wrong. Just compare it with the traditional light interface and you’ll see there’s a lot of wasted space everywhere. The panel tabs are too big, the box with the number of frames only shows up to 999 frames, the separation between panels is too big, etc…All this makes impossible to have several tools and drawing panels at the same time and be able to see all of its content.

To me, this new interface is just a change of icons and It’s far away from an Adobe like interface, which seems to be what Toon Boom tried to copy.

Sorry for the off-topic…maybe I should add a thread with this matter so we can discuss it and, hopefully, the people at Toon Boom really work on a NEW kind of interface.

I think all of the interfaces in Toon Boom software illustrate an inefficient use of space. Some of the windows are ridiculously large considering the information they present. A first baby step would be to offer an option to use smaller icons reducing the footprint (that is only if the interface is designed to shrink when the small icons are used) and to choose your own colors for the interface. This would take some of the decisions and work out of the developer’s hands and place it in the user’s, a benefit to everyone IMO.

Exactly!

Glad to see that I’m not the only one who thinks the interface is, simply, bad, inefficient and outdated. I´m sure most of us use other programs like the Adobe Suite, Maya, Sketchbook…when you compare Toon Boom interfaces to any of these, Toon Boom looks like a software from the 90s

I have the same problem.

I suppose Harmony doesn’t manage dual screen workspaces well.

Update 2/18/15

It appears to have something to do with moving folders or it is a coincidence that about this time I began to see a problem.

My dual workspaces started loading with one or two windows out of place after things had been going so well. I think I corrected this problem and learned that the software seems to prefer that the main display have all of its windows nested rather than floating.

Tip: The software seems to prefer that the main display have all of its windows nested rather than anything floating.

However my customized button selection has been deteriorating. Random buttons disappear and other are inserted. This is probably more of a pain to correct than organizing windows because I like them in a certain order and I have the Drawing and Camera window buttons lined up on the left border in vertical orientation. This way working in unison with the main tool bar it is like having two rows of buttons. I have them grouped so they share the same context between the two. It is very nice when it stays put. Correcting the mess is not as simple because it is not drag & drop.

I am currently switching hard drives and am duplicating installations and folder hierarchies. I have two boot drives and the other is accessible and seen as an external drive by the boot drive of the moment. The new drive is a fresh install and not a migration. I am seeing this loss of customized tool buttons on both.

I just found out a funny thing about this thread’s issue…

If you have two screens and you want your workspace to open as you want, a solution is to send the “welcome screen” or the “open scene” window to the secondary screen.

I know it sounds weird but it’s working for me.

Regarding the “welcome screen”, today I decided to tick the box that says “don’t show this window at start” (or something like that)…well, now it opens with a blank window, so you have to go to the menu and choose “open scene”

I cannot understand how a so expensive software can have so many errors, bugs, crashes and this awful design of the interface.

I wonder if the people at TB read this forum and, if they do, I wonder if they even care about what we say.

I had time to re-read and test your idea and it worked. IOW, all of the trouble keeping windows where I wanted them after saving workspaces and reopening the software with dual displays are eliminated. The workspace opened almost* exactly how I left it when I saved it. (*see below).

Here is the sequence:

1. Open the software.
  2. When the Welcome window appears move it to the secondary display.
  3. Select the file to open or name a new project to create.
  4. Once the project is opened arrange your workspace.
  5. Save the workspace.
  6. Close the program.
  7. Each time you open the software, immediately move the Welcome window to the secondary display then open or create a project file.

*There is one remaining imperfection. I have a main window for Camera/Drawing then under it the Timeline on the primary display. For some reason the top window of the primary display opens about a menu bar lower so there is a gap at the top between the OS interface menu bar and the first window and that top window opens overlapping the window under it by that amount of space. Compared to the scramble I had been left with I can live with having to move one window up slightly each time I open a project.

I’m glad my trick also works for others. I wasn’t sure it would do. Also, thanks for giving a good explanation of the sequence to follow.

And yes, I have the same problem you mention. The windows appear in the correct screen but slightly moved from their original location. But, as you said, it is something we can live with.

Now, let’s hope the people at TB read this forum and fix this problems the proper way :slight_smile: