Group layer - How do you use it best?

You can collects layers in a peg and in a group.
They work different.

I would be great to hear how your work with groups. How does it work best?

/ Mattias

Hi Mattias,

If you parent elements to a peg, any transformation (keyframe or permanent position) will be transferred to the elements. It’s not exactly grouping, it’s really parenting. You can collapse parented elements, but it doesn’t mean it’s in a group.

If you were to look at parented elements in the Node view, they would still all be visible at the same level.

If you group elements, you cannot add transformations to a group. it’s really a container with input and output ports.

If you are to look at groups in the Node view, it’s one single box you can open and see all the content in it. There is no parent layer unless the group itself is parented to another layer.

You can see the visual representation here:

http://docs.toonboom.com/help/harmony-14/premium/staging/about-group.html

If you want to avoid transforming the parent by accident, use groups. If you use Premium, even better to use Group with Composites.

If you need the parent to transmit transformation info, use a Peg.

Here are more information about what a peg is and where it came from:

http://docs.toonboom.com/help/harmony-14/premium/motion-path/about-peg.html?Highlight=about%20peg

I hope this helps!

Marie-Eve

Hi,
Yes that was how I understood it too.

I would guess that you use a group that maybe dont move so much, like different kind of objects.

Thanks!

/ Mattias

Groups can be used to organize your Node View/Timeline or to apply effects in a more practical way (one effect will affect the whole group instead of applying it to all layers individually). You would put all layers from a character inside the same group - even in traditional animation, if you have a layer for the body, another for the head, etc. - so that you’ll have Character A group, Character B group, etc. That way it would be easier to order the elements on the Z-axis (you only move one connection). You can also group all elements from a background. If you want to apply an effect to different elements you can place them into a group, though you can simply connect them to the same composite. Grouping means you can have a cleaner an easier to navigate node view, organized on a hierarchy, though some times because you want to connect many layers or use them as masks to affect each other, sometimes it might be more practical to have them ungrouped.

Pegs are also useful in terms of organizing your Node View/Timeline but their main purpose is to apply transformation and trajectories to layers.

Luis Canau