Grid position

When I create a new element, the grid is automatically set in a position partly above the camera view (what do you call the box outline that shows you what the camera sees?) The grid shows up aligned w/ the camera view while in drawing view, but in camera view the grid is pushed up above the camera. I can’t figure out how to move the grid back down to its correct position. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

Hi,

Be aware that there is no actual camera in the drawing view so everything will align properly in there.

Now what I think is that you simply have an offset on your camera so make sure to check if you have any position set in both your camera and any camera peg you have.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks, Ugo, but I don’t understand your answer. I’m not using any pegs at all. How do you get an offset on your camera? This happens as soon as I create a new drawing element, before I even draw anything. The element is created w/ the grid offset. Actually, it’s a student of mine who is doing this and he doesn’t understand what he’s done, so I’m trying to figure it out for him.

Is there a way to move the grid around?

Hi,

As far as I know the grid cannot move although what I was thinking is that there is an offset in the camera. You can check this by selecting the camera element in the timeline then go in the properties tab and make sure there is no values in the offset else then 12 F in the last field.

If you are still having this issue after you can always send me the file to look at it.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks - the camera was offset, and now I know how to fix that. I’m still puzzled as to how it got offset in the first place, tho. My students have an uncanny ability to create strange situations in the software w/o knowing what they’ve done! I’m very grateful for the quick response I get from this forum!

Here is how easy it is too add an offset to the camera and not even realize you did it. Depending on the user’s set up if they open a project in camera view and have the select tool active and just mouse click in the camera view window particularly on a new project that mainly has just the camera and an empty drawing element, they can introduce a fractional offset. It only takes a microscopic bit of mouse movement during that click to cause it. So it is just a good idea to check the properties panel for the camera to be sure this hasn’t or doesn’t accidentally occur. Because most people position their elements in relative reference to the camera frame, they rarely even realize they have introduced this type of offset. I accidentally do it quite often and never even know I did it. -JK