Grendizer Fanart

Hello Tb’ers!
Here a fanart i made with Animate Pro.
Except the ruff sketching which was done in TV-Paint (Till the day that TB will integrate bitmap sketching possibilites :p)

http://s4.postimage.org/gm93fz3et/grendy_3.jpg
And here a link to a bigger size:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9084d20282.jpg

Haven’t seen the original, but that is awesome poster.

As i haven’t see then original I don’t know if the characters are just fan art arranged in your own way, or if it is a copy of a poster you liked. If it isn’t a copy of a poster, i really like how everything is arranged, it is very interesting.

very good, brought back sweet childhood memories!

can i ask you to elaborate please? what exactly did you do with ToonBoom?

The Raider> Hello !
Except the fact that all characters exist from the Grendizer Animation, all the poses are made by myself. I dislike to see over and over again the same illustrations redrawn for a fanart. I thought of making fun of Koji (the guy with black hair) with the other main characters interacting around him. :slight_smile:

The only drawings i used as model are the following ones:

Now for the concept, i was inspired by this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIbIqHCJzvg (00:4:55:00)
(Sorry the first video i found on youtube was in German. I didn’t even know that there was a Saint Seiya dub in German! ;D)

Amin> Hello Amin! :slight_smile:

I made the ruff sketch in Tv Paint ()
The black inking with an intuos 4 tablet in TB Animate Pro.
Coloring also in Toon Boom Animate Pro . (i picked the rgb color references from the illustrations i mentioned above in Photoshop to construct my palet in TB)
I export the different layers to Photoshop to add some effects. (Like the rays of light / some satin on the characters / blur on Boss Robot to create more depth.)

The only problem for this illustration (correct me if i’m wrong): there is no way to export the layers above 72dpi. So pretty useless for printing.
But i can’t blame TB on that, it’s an animation software. ()
And after a lot of struggling i am now so much in love with this soft in the way it make the brush lines exactely like i want.
I remember having this conversation here on the forum. I was sooo frustrated for more than a year using TB and it’s brush -_-… But now i prefere it 100 times above Manga Studio.

By the way one important detail: before exporting don’t put the antialiasing value to high, or you will loose the nice black-to gray transition on the brush/pencil lines. And your drawing will look very vectorish.

If this can help you to see more details: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9084d20282.jpg

if someone needs more info, i would be glad to answer. I know how frustrating it is to get an ‘anime’ look that doesn’t look cheap. ^^;

Hi Lilly.

Photoshop effects>It was not because you can’t achieve this in TB Animate Pro. Really sorry, i had to mention that in my last post !

***The main reason was to test how easy i could export the different layers with Alpha Channel. (For future purposes in photoshop and After Effects ).I did it finally in png4.

By the way: tell me if i’m wrong but i don’t think it was possible to export each TB layer as a separate file. I had to make layers visible/not visible before exporting to get each layer separated.

Same thing with psd exportation. I don’t think it was possible to export in separate layers. They were all merged.
It would be also nice to have the transparency directely processed in each layer when exporting as psd (without playing in photoshop with the corresponding “alpha layer” to see the transparency processed.)

dpi> - Nice. I understand. I will use this trick!
BTW: Any chance to see an AI exportation in a future release? It’s a pitty to have a beautiful vector software which can only export outside TB in bitmap. :stuck_out_tongue:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Other little questions:

When building my color palets, i had to enter the R / G and B values. Is there a functionality to enter a single value? (Exemple #000000 instead of R:0 / G:0/ B:0 )

And please a bitmap sketch layer. For the moment i export from TV Paint to TB. And once my key-frames inked in TB i go back again to TV Paint for making new sketched inbetweens. It makes me crazy to make all those conversions! ;D

I apologize if some of my questions already have an answer.

Lilly - Long-time illustrator but new to Animate Pro.
First dumb question:
I can build super backgrounds in Photoshop but was told by TB tech that it would add tons of size to any swf movie. Even at 72dpi. The brushes seem limiting and therefore hard to create BGs in Animate Pro that would compare to Photoshop. Am I wrong? Or just really new to the realities of some shortcomings in Animate Pro?
Thankful for any help you could give.
Ed

Many thanks for the feedback Lilly!!! :smiley:

Just curious why did you decide to do the blur and the light rays in Photoshop instead of directly in Animate Pro?

Also just wanted to comment on DPI. You can’t print directly from Toon Boom, so there is no concept of DPI, there is only a concept of resolution. You can set the resolution of your scene to be any size you want, then you need to calculate what you want the size to be in order to achieve the DPI you want. Check out the little example that I put down here:

Size: 4" x 6"

Resolution: Width Resolution: Height DPI
. 300 450 75
. 400 600 100
. 600 900 150

So actually, you can get any DPI you want. Just multiply the width that you want to print x the DPI you want to get your final resolution.

~Lilly

Donbartolo,

1) Exporting layers as a file. You can do this with Animate Pro, but not with Animate regular. With Animate Pro, you can add a Write node, and connect it to each drawing layer that you want to export as an image. Then you can configure each write node so that it writes a different file name, or writes to a different folder, however you want to set it up. PNG4 is a good choice for these write nodes.

2) PSD export. I’ll have to dig a bit deeper into this one. I did some initial tests and you’re right, it doesn’t export layers. The alpha channel is also not pre-multiplied. I’m not sure if we can pre-multiply the alpha channel, but I’ll double-check. This is most likely a feature request for the future.

3) AI export. I’ll submit this as a feature request, but I’m not sure whether it’s an open format that we can export to.

4) Colour Palettes. There’s no way to input all rgb values in one, but I do want to point out that if you double-click on a colour pot to open the colour picker window, there’s a little colour picker in here that you can click on that will let you colour pick from anywhere in the app. So you might just want to mock up a colour swatch from photoshop or wherever with little dabs of colour on it, then you can just import this as a bitmap image and pick from it to create your colours. It’s easier than inputting numbers manually.

5) Bitmap sketch layer. We don’t have any bitmap sketching tools, all of our drawing tools are vector tools, so you can’t use our tools on a bitmap layer. You can sketch on a regular vector layer but make use of a combination of the texture brushes and semi-transparent colour pots to get more of that look.

Ed,

A swf movie is a Flash format, and a vector format, and vector files in general are very small in comparison to bitmap files. Bitmap files are quite a bit heavier, so it will definitely make your swf file larger. The DPI doesn’t matter - DPI has no meaning in terms of images on a computer screen. What matters is the actual resolution that you’re working with. Are you working with a web format? How many pixels wide/high? If you’re working in HD it will make it very heavy indeed.

This shortcoming is not a shortcoming of Animate Pro, this is just true of bitmaps. It would be true if you’re using Flash as well.

I’d recommend trying to see if you can achieve the look that you’re going for with the vector drawing tools. You can combine together gradients, colour regions, and if you’re using Pro then also textured brushes (though this again will make it heavier). If you can’t achieve the look you want then you will just have to be aware of this when you do your export. Double-check the playback to make sure that you don’t have any slowdown.

~Lilly